Technical Writer / Design Drafter
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Technical Writer/Design Drafter is a foundational role in the Tech Department for each of the exhibits. This position will help establish and/or contribute to processes, organization, and standardization for documentation on all projects. The Technical Drafter is responsible for creating and maintaining the Tech Department’s schematics, system diagrams, electrical systems documentation (“one-lines”), tech-specific construction documents, spreadsheets, “how-to” documents based off of the information from each of the leads and electrical engineer on the projects, and assembly illustrations. We seek a candidate who is skillful and efficient with AutoCad, and to a lesser extent Illustrator, able to develop templates and part libraries for rapid completion of work.
This position requires excellent design, communication, and organization skills, as well as a high level of focus and follow-through.
The ideal applicant will demonstrate competency in one or more of the following areas:
- low-voltage electronics
- line-voltage electronics
- electrical systems design
- commercial or industrial electrical code
- technical writing
- construction documentation.
A substantial responsibility of this role is to organize and compile documentation into operations manuals, including the necessary illustrations and exploded views. Additional desirable skills include experience with change management, version control, and technical drawing. The products that we make are fun, colorful and chaotic – but our documentation is critical, requiring a strong commitment to details and a high degree of focus and organization.
Once established, there will be opportunity to grow with the organization and take on more responsibility as it pertains to technical documentation and construction of organizational processes.
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
- Highly Proficient with AutoCAD
- Advanced Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
- Advanced Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop
- Proficient with Google Suite
- Draw.io is a plus
- File Management
- Folder Structure
Extremely proficient written and verbal communicator
- Bachelor’s degree
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is potential travel to work on the major markets exhibitions in 2019 and beyond.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What experience do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a technical writer/design drafter?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- Anything else you want us to know?
- What is your experience writing technical documentation and technical drafting?
- Explain how your skill set can be a contribution and complement Meow Wolf’s future exhibitions and Tech Department.
- Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Coordinate with Lead Tech Fabricator, Electrical Systems Designer in Tech Fab, Electrical Engineer to draft tech systems documentation including one-line diagrams, wiring diagrams, exploded view drawings, & visual images of installations.
- Compile and organize data sheets and other documentation for components typically utilized in our installations.
- This position will work closely between the Electrical Systems Designer in Tech Fab and the Lead Tech Fabricator to learn Meow Wolf’s wiring standards, installation processes, the various required diagrams for documentation, and the culture.
- This position will also work closely with the same group on project installations to compile and organize all the information from each aspect into a well formatted system document.
- This position will also work closely with electricians, artists, electrical inspectors, maintenance staff and more: soft skills are highly valued.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.