Designer, Consumer Products
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
Meow Wolf is seeking a creative and skilled designer to join our Merchandise team to develop unique, fun, and commercial specialty products sold within our exhibits, web sites, events, and partners . This position will report to the VP of Merchandise and will work closely with merchandisers, graphic designers, project managers, and creative brand leads. The position will also work cross-functionally with a variety of artists and creatives across the organization in developing products related to Meow Wolf art exhibits and media content.
The ideal candidate will bring proven design and development experience across a variety of consumer product categories such as toys, figurines, homeware, collectibles, printed goods, apparel, and accessories. To be successful in this role you should be skilled at product design, industrial design, and/or graphic design and be able to demonstrate a strong aesthetic and branding sensibility. You should be able to ideate creative concepts, visually and verbally communicate designs through sketches and technical renderings, and be receptive to input and feedback. The ideal candidate will thrive within Meow Wolf’s fast-paced, community-oriented start-up culture and enjoy being part of an ever evolving team.
- 3+ years design and development experience within relevant consumer product categories
- Strong design and conceptual skills as evidenced in your personal portfolio
- Demonstrated passion for creating products that delight and are unique
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite design programs
- Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes to be able to efficiently design products and work with vendors through the development process
- Strong time management skills to effectively prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced, ever changing environment, with multiple inputs
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Design
- Industrial design background and experience with 3d modeling software
- Experience with project management / time tracking software tools
- Proficient in sourcing product vendors and suppliers
- Design product concepts drawing from a diversity of inputs such as market research, brand strategies, peer feedback, and all things Meow Wolf
- Create sketches and digital mock ups of design concepts for presentation
- Create thorough technical drawings and spec sheets to turn over to suppliers for development
- Communicate effectively with suppliers to comment on samples and cost engineer designs to target prices
- Maintain an organized archive of designs, overviews, and tech packs
- Research to source vendors and suppliers for new products
- Assist with visual needs for department presentations and pitch decks
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.