About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is seeking an extremely capable Executive Producer to join our Creative Studios team and shepherd large scale projects to success. The Executive Producer role integrates Project Management and Creative Direction, steering production for a multi-million dollar exhibition. Reporting directly to the Executive VP of Exhibitions, the Executive Producer works closely with Meow Wolf leadership and Creative Directors. The Executive Producer must be effective at managing and integrating complex architectural-scale construction processes with nuanced creative processes, ultimately producing mind-blowing, immersive experiences that profoundly engage and inspire audiences. They must be calm under pressure and have experience managing multi-million dollar budgets. Most importantly they must be able to facilitate the balance between creativity, exploration, and discovery while bringing projects in on time and on budget.
The Executive Producer must be capable of building an effective management team to support them in executing this project. They are responsible for developing and maintaining a dynamic and effective pipeline that integrates in-house capacity with 3rd party contractors, artists, and vendors. Meow Wolf’s in-house capacity for this project will include Project Management, Architectural Design, Infrastructure Design, Creative Direction, Technology, Fabrication, Narrative, Entertainment and Art-Making.
Meow Wolf Creative Studios is growing rapidly. This position requires an extremely capable and fast-paced individual who can not only maintain the current culture and processes but help develop and refine our systems as we scale. The right candidate loves creating new systems and structures and enjoys a challenge.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Proven ability to get results across multiple groups and disciplines
- Strong competency in budgeting and project accounting
- Work efficiently and effectively in ambiguous, uncertain, and rapidly evolving business landscapes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic thinker with highly developed analytical and critical thinking abilities
- Hold people accountable for achieving goals
- Creates a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work
- Experience in large scale Production or Construction required
Education and Experience
- 3+ years experience managing a team of project managers and/or coordinators
- 7+ years experience as a Project Manager or Producer
- 5+ years experience successfully managing large budgets and productions on time
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Gantt, high level budgeting, experience with project management systems, overall high tech literacy and ability to adopt new tools and software quickly
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or better.
This position will oversee a dedicated team of project managers and coordinators who will act as the hub between artists, fabricators, technologists, designers and contractors.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Duties Will Include, but are not limited to:
- Executing of vision and strategy from leadership
- Strong ability to manage complex timelines, large budgets, and large teams
- Maintain a dynamic interdisciplinary production pipeline combining physical and digital content into large scale installations
- Ensure production is moving fluidly between teams; manage and refine the system as needed
- Assist in identifying project production roadblocks before they emerge and hold up production
- Assist leadership in curating and cultivating the creative direction and intention
- Able to be the hub between creators, managers, vendors, and leaders to keep the project moving quickly
- Integrate internal production with external building construction timelines and budgets
- Develop and manage the project management team for the project – recruiting, training, supervising
- Lead by example through hard work, vision, good communication, and dedication to the project, setting the tone for everyone else involved
- Help us stay true to our roots and core as we grow and expand into new markets and develop relationships with new artists and communities
- Work with Finance department to lead budgeting process and create financial assumptions and projections for the project
- With Executive VP of Exhibitions, Review Profit and Loss reports for the project and maintain corporate standards for Profit and Loss
- Help guide Finance department in processes needed to ensure manageable tracking of all expenses and labor for project
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.