About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is seeking a technical lead to join a cross functional team that is building new and amazing enhancements to the Meow Wolf experience. The ideal candidate will have deep technical knowledge developing both hardware and software solutions in addition to leading engineering teams and collaborating with non-technical team members. This is a highly collaborative position that will require strong leadership skills and a relentless drive to innovate. Experience leading Agile engineering teams is an absolute must. We are building next generation products and experiences that integrate cutting edge technology into the broader Meow Wolf ecosystem and we need someone who is passionate about bringing these new experiences to life while remaining flexible to change and incorporating new learnings along the way.
At Meow Wolf we pride ourselves in our culture, it is the glue that holds us all together. Here at Meow Wolf we are radically inclusive, highly collaborative, and passionate about creating mind-blowing immersive experiences. People who work at Meow Wolf have an opportunity to make dreams come true – both creatively and professionally. We are building a team of talented individuals to carry the Meow Wolf experience into the future. We want you to be part of that team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant work experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience designing and developing software solutions
- Minimum of 3 years experience implementing and managing cloud infrastructure solutions
- Experience leading and managing technical contributors on complex projects
- Experience programming in multiple languages including C++, NodeJS, Python, PHP, and Bash
- Experience building cloud infrastructure using service providers including Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- Experience deploying and scaling relational and non-relational data stores
- Experience using tools like JIRA to generate user stories and capture technical requirements
- Strong understanding of software design patterns and microservice architecture
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate details to non-technical team members in a way that is clear and approachable
This position will interface with a dedicated team of project managers and coordinators who will act as the hub between artists, fabricators, technologists, designers and contractors.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Design, document, and communicate system architecture – traversing the entire stack from platform to end-user
- Lead, coach, and mentor a team of web developers, software engineers, and design technologists to develop new software and infrastructure solutions
- Implement and govern engineering standards – coach teams to adhere, uphold, and contribute to their own standards
- Collaborate with other technical teams to design and develop integrated hardware solutions
- Hire, support, and empower new technical team members – build a strong team that performs and is ridiculously fun to work with
- Collaborate with the program manager to manage relationships with external partners and vendors
- Collaborate with the product manager and other team members to generate user stories and technical requirements that clearly communicate user needs, along with relevant acceptance criteria
- Contribute to regular backlog grooming and sprint planning exercises
- Track and report on project status and team performance
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.