Managing Director of Exhibition Production
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
What is the Exhibitions Division?
- The division is comprised of Art, Technology, Fabrication, Design and Project Management departments.
- The primary work of the Exhibitions division is major permanent immersive art installations, but it also serves as a creative and production hub for other activities of Meow Wolf including travelling exhibitions, temporary experiences, product development, etc.
The Managing Director of Exhibition Production oversees and acts as a point of contact for the five Exhibitions Division Production Departments. The Position works with the Executive VP of Exhibitions and the VP of Operations to help unify the organizational work happening across these five Exhibition Departments. They are responsible for overseeing all functions and activities to promote the growth of existing structures and development of new systems as needed. A leader in a fast paced, creative environment, their focus will be on connecting and streamlining departments, creating efficient workflows, and building a strong team that delivers results. They will see issues before they happen and take the initiative to resolve them before being asked. They understand how to mentor and motivate teams and team members.
Experience is required in managing a large team of managers, long term planning, high level budgeting skills, and creating systems and structures in a production environment. The Managing Director of Exhibition Production should be a creative, dedicated, and dynamic individual who is sensitive to the nuances of our extremely unique collaborative culture and understands how to support and foster a healthy creative environment.
Meow Wolf’s Exhibitions Division is growing rapidly, this position requires an extremely capable and fast-paced person who can not only maintain what we have built, but help develop and refine our existing systems as we scale. The right candidate loves to invent and create new systems and structures, enjoys a challenge, understands the overall goals of the Exhibition division and keeps cool under pressure.
We are looking for a candidate with experience working in a production or manufacturing environment.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Proven ability to get results across multiple groups and disciplines
- Work efficiently and effectively in ambiguous, uncertain, and rapidly evolving business landscapes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic thinker with highly developed analytical and critical thinking abilities
- Hold people accountable for achieving goals
- Creates a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work
This position will oversee all Exhibitions Division Production Department Heads: Art, Tech, Fabrication and Design
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Focus time/vision to the production pipeline and ensure production is moving fluidly between teams; manage and refine the system as needed
- Assist in identifying production roadblocks before they emerge and hold up production
- Observe our structures and assess for improvements to create production efficiencies
- Present a strong vision for the future and the steps we need to take to get there
- Single point of contact for all five Exhibitions Division Production Department Heads. (Fabrication, Design, Art, Tech, Project Management)
- Lead Department Head communications, meetings, etc.
- Provide management support and coaching for Exhibitions Division Department Heads. Sets goals for each Department Head and conducts regular check-ins
- Work with Executive VP of Exhibitions and other senior leadership to solidify and expand systems that empower and give autonomy to Exhibitions Division Department Heads team
- Act as direct Supervisor for Exhibitions Division Department Heads, managing salaries, raises and other HR matters with appropriate approvals
- Create a system for tracking and measuring productive capacity against 5 year strategic goals. Make adjustments as needed
- Implements and oversees the administration of policies and procedures set by Executive VP of Exhibitions, corporate officers, and other senior leadership, within the Exhibitions Division. Proposes new policies specific to the Exhibitions Division to the Executive VP of Exhibitions and implements them with approval
- Communication conduit between Exhibitions Division Production departments, Executive. VP of Exhibitions, Corporate Officers and Other senior leadership
- Collaborates with Corporate Divisions and Departments (MWE, Merchandise, Finance, HR, Marketing, Narrative, Digital, LLC’s, Operations) and other Managing Directors, or equivalent positions to foster interdisciplinary creativity and find efficiencies
- Works with Executive VP of Exhibitions and Executive Producers for Major Market Permanent Installations and other projects to build and apply productive capacity of the Exhibitions Division to those projects
- With Executive VP of Exhibitions, Review Profit and Loss reports for the Exhibitions Division and maintains corporate standards for Profit and Loss
- Work with Finance department to lead budgeting process across all reporting departments and relevant projects
- Work with Finance department to create financial assumptions and projections for Exhibitions division
- Help guide Finance department in processes needed for Department Heads to ensure manageable tracking of all expenses and labor for their teams
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.