Cross Reality (XR) Creative Director
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with with hundreds of artists.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment is looking for Creative Director for our cross reality (XR) team. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the collaborative creative direction between exhibit content and compelling patron experiences in virtual and cross reality. You are a master storyteller that can incorporate developing hardware technology into our interactive and immersive exhibits. You are an agile problem-solver who is not afraid of big challenges, embracing rapidly changing design demands, and tight schedules. You are comfortable with rapid, low-fi prototyping of ideas leading to hi-fi polished deliverables. You love making XR accessible to our patrons and are excited about the future of entertainment Meow Wolf is creating.
- Shipped at least three VR/XR titles as creative director; strong portfolio & aesthetic
- Strong understanding of 3D animation, game engines, volumetric capture and development, XR platforms and deployment, virtual interactions and mechanics
- Solid understanding of 360º filming methods and equipment, as well as post-processing
- Prior experience as VR creative director, animation supervisor, visual effects supervisor or 360º director
- Extremely familiar with volumetric UI/UX, game engines, 3D modeling, and animation
- Strong at storyboarding and prototyping
- Prior experience leading creative teams and projects
- Prior experience reporting to executives
- Highly collaborative and organized
- Minimum of 5+ years of work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Authorized to work in the US
- Experience in location based entertainment
- Understanding of ARCore and ARKit a plus
- Experience working with wide range of personalities and trades
- A sense of humor
This job operates in a professional industrial environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This role may commute between different office locations, and enter fabrication shops or construction environments where there may be need for hard hats, safety goggles, closed toe shoes, and other protective gear. They will also have to wear specialized hardware for virtual and cross reality immersion.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Specific auditory abilities required by this job include high and low frequency recognition and loudness perception.
This is a creative leadership position within Meow Wolf Entertainment. The following are typical responsibilities:
- Driving the creative vision of real-time interactive XR and VR experiences and making sure they fit into the Meow Wolf aesthetic, narrative, and goals
- Work closely with MWEs Sr. Creative Director and other senior leadership to develop new and existing MW IP and story content
- Creating intuitive XR user interfaces, interactions, and experiences
- Adding a thoughtful, artistic digital layer to already immersive exhibit concepts
- Collaborating with other disciplines and creative directors across the company
- Designing and pitching immersive XR projects to executive leadership
- Directing a multidisciplinary team of artists, writers, and developers towards delightful XR stories
- Managing timelines, budgets, and deliverables
- Growing a creative pool of artist, modelers and animators
- Managing partners and vendors
- Researching new methods, software, and platforms
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.