Department Director – Art Team
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Art Team Department Director is the head of the Meow Wolf Exhibitions art department and manages a talented team of artists to execute a wide variety of projects for exhibitions, events, and other Meow Wolf productions. The Art Team is responsible for executing the aesthetic treatments and artistic layer of Meow Wolf projects. The Art Team Department Director offers management, leadership and strategic direction for the entire department by having a keen awareness of all company projects, employee capacity and skill sets, production schedules, and budgets. This individual maintains a broad perspective of the department, focused on long term vision, growth and organizational strategies. They oversee the teams General Managers and Administrative Assistant while offering high level support to accomplish shared company goals for successful, safe and world class immersive installations.
Working with the Managing Director of Exhibitions Production, Executive Producers, and Creative Directors, the Art Team Department Director maintains awareness of all relevant MW projects, serving as the point of contact for other Department Heads and Managers to come to in regards to using team members time or other team resources. They work with Art Team GM’s to assist Project Managers in selecting appropriate team members for projects and estimate labor projections and key milestones for projects and work with creative leadership to maintain a team capable of the artistic excellence and technical skill needed for Meow Wolf projects. The Art Team Director is a day-to-day resource for the Exhibitions Team to help facilitate the most efficient and satisfying work environment for all. This role will oversee long term planning, implement staffing strategies and develop collaborative relationships across the company.
- Art Team General Managers
- Art Team Administrative Assistant
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment such as powered and non-powered tools and various art making materials.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years in arts management
- 2+ years experience working in creative and design fields
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office proficient
- Gantt and project management softwares experience a plus
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- Experience with immersive art installation, public art, or similar preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Lead and support a team of GM’s, assistants and artists
- Work to solidify and expand systems that empower the art team to do their best work and integrate that work into the company as a whole
- Develop and manage the Art Team through cross discipline training plan
- Be a day-to-day resource to Art Team General Managers for questions, training (budgeting, gantt, general project management systems) and project milestones
- Work with HR Manager and Art Team General Managers to orient new art team members, resolve conflicts, suggest promotions and identify areas of improvement
- Identify art team’s need for new positions and updated job descriptions and lead the process of posting, interviewing and hiring of new Art Team members as needed, with the advice of management and creative leadership.
- Oversee team workload and progress to ensure work is evenly spread across the team
- Act as direct supervisor for Art Team managing salaries raises and other HR matters with appropriate approvals
- Coordinate the use of Art Department resources with other departments
- Collaborate with Sr. Art Team Advisor and Art Direction GM on growth of the team
- Support GM’s and Project Leads in managing all creative studio projects, providing input and support according to each project’s needs and level of priority within the organization
- Evaluate and improve systems and processes to effectively meet project requirements and company needs through all project phases
- Develop and oversee project management and schedule goals, including personnel assignments and capacity planning
- Create labor and material cost estimation to be included in project budgets
- Analyze projects midstream and at completion and institute corrective actions/find efficiencies
- Assess overall impact of all projects on General Manager’s and other team member’s workloads
- Follow Project Management systems for all off-project activities including R&D, individual artist projects, travel, classes and trainings
- Identify team and project leaders, job changes, or promotion opportunities from within
- Work with Sr. Art Team Advisor, production team and operations staff to solidify and expand systems that empower and give autonomy to Art Team
- Create and Manage Art Team departmental budget, spending and plan for growth including assessing needs for large equipment and tool purchases
- Understand challenges related to organizational growth and develop strategic solutions to present to management
- Incorporate company priorities into day-to-day workflow
- Maintain a routine schedule and flexible work hours on MW property to maintain the security of the facility and a safe work environment
- Run weekly art team meetings and summarize team statuses to production team
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.