3D Character Animator/Rigger
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment is looking for a 3D Character Animator/Rigger to join our cross-reality (XR) team. You will work with our creative directors, writers, artists, designers, and developers to deliver fun and immersive XR experiences in our exhibits. You will be working at the forefront of technology alongside our art and development team to quickly interpret creative vision into working demos.
- 3+ years of 3D animator experience in VR, games, VFX, or interactive experiences
- 3+ years of experience in character animation, skinning, and texturing
- Strong grasp of character rigging, motion, timing, kinematics, and animating character performance and lip sync
- Advanced knowledge of Maya or Max
- Past experience with various rig setups, including quadruped
- Strong understanding of MELScript, Python, scripted controllers and expressions
- In-depth knowledge of FK/IK systems
- Experience with Unity and/or Unreal required
- Bachelor’s degree & portfolio
- Authorized to work in the US
- Experience in location based entertainment
- Experience with motion capture systems
- Experience working with wide range of personalities and trades
- A sense of humor
This job operates in a professional industrial environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This role may commute between different office locations, and enter fabrication shops or construction environments where there may be need for hard hats, safety goggles, closed toe shoes, and other protective gear. They will also have to wear specialized hardware for virtual and cross reality immersion.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Specific auditory abilities required by this job include high and low frequency recognition and loudness perception.
This is a 3D animation and rigging position within Meow Wolf Entertainment’s XR team. The following are typical responsibilities:
- Work closely with creative director on how to interpret story into character performance
- Collaborate with concept artists, modelers, and developers to create high fidelity animations for use in Unity and Unreal engines
- Develop animations for locomotion, behavior, and emotion for a variety of characters, humanoid or other
- Work closely with modeler and technical teams to create optimized rigs that fully address the needs of the character’s functionality and limitations
- Weight characters in an efficient manner for their formation so their movements look realistic and plausible for the physics of the story
- Ability to troubleshoot pre-existing character rig setups / scripts
- Ability to retarget existing animations to new rig and fix as needed
- Timely delivery of detailed animations for further processing
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.