Tech General Manager
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is looking for a General Manager of Technology for the Vegas build who will be responsible for coordinating the production efforts of external contractors, artists and the internal teams (Designer/Developers, Lighting, Sound, and Tech Fab) of the Tech Department. The different teams of the Tech Department work together in conjunction with the Architectural Design, Art, Art Direction, Concept Art, Digital Storytelling, Entertainment, Fabrication, and Narrative teams to develop custom interactive artwork and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video and electromechanical elements. This role requires a strong balance between creative problem solving, sensitivity to engage a nuanced creative process and culture, team administration and management, and technical prowess – helping steer projects towards ambitious and successful results.
The GM of Tech will join the tech department’s management team with direct support from the Tech Director, Tech Project Managers (who have expertise within tech), Tech Project Coordinators, Admin Assistants, as well as Senior Advisors. Additional assistance comes from Tech Liaisons, Project Managers (with expertise on builds, Fab, and Art), and Executive Producers.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience working with contractors, software and physical computing as they relate to immersive environments, be a fast learner, and have very strong communication skills/ability to manage people, time, and expectations. In addition to these skills, the ideal candidate will have a deep love for creating mind blowing experiences and an insatiable curiosity for technology and experience design.
A strong culture fit is necessary as we have an extremely unique and mostly egalitarian creative process. The GM of Tech must be a strong leader and also sensitive to nuances of a highly collaborative environment. The role is primarily administration and team management, but is also highly creative as a final say in deciding strategies and approaches to design problems.
Required Education and Experience
5+ years developing new technology, software development, working with microcontroller/custom hardware, and collaborating with interdisciplinary teams
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or better
New Mexico based residents
Collaborate with Director of Technology to:
- Determine team priorities
- Develop the tech management team and implement strategies for professional development
- Design and develop exhibitions
- Identify new technologies and areas of research and development
- Design user experience
- Develop knowledge of team members and capabilities
- Match team members to projects
- Build conduits of communication across departments and within the tech department
- Must be Trusting, Respectful, Inspiring, and Compassionate of team members
- Help cultivate a healthy workplace that inspires personal and team growth
- Build sub-teams on a per project basis
- Work with Tech PMs and PM team to create and review Gantt project timelines, tasks, and milestones
- For each team member review priorities from the previous week, establish new priorities for the current week
- Maintaining rapport and clear expectations with tech team members
- Manage time off requests and tracking
- Reporting to Director of Technology
- Maintaining strong communications with tech team leads, project managers, and artists on multiple projects from other departments
- Setting expectations with artists and designers on feasibility
- Guiding art, fab, and tech team members towards successful project concepts
Budgeting and Resource Management
- Manage team budget creation and maintenance
- Oversee expense logging and tracking budget to actual
- Work with IT Manager for tech team inventory management
- Oversee purchasing, and budget tracking
- Monitor and control labor costs for tech team projects
Data, Security, and Electronic Asset Management
- Managing team files on Google drive
- Oversee documentation of assigned tech projects
- Keeping organized records of contracts, and other arrangements with third parties
- Oversee tracking of receipts of important and valuable tools and infrastructure
Tech Project Maintenance
- Collaborate with Ops for tech maintenance on active exhibitions
- Develop budgeting and resource management processes for tech maintenance
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Collaboration, communication, critical thinking, creative problem solving, and writing.
- Budgeting, iterative, agile and waterfall management modalities, project coordination.
- Strong understanding of software and hardware development pipelines and methodologies, comprehensive awareness of tools and processes used in creating interactive experiences, and a general aptitude for systems engineering and design thinking.
This position has supervisory responsibilities as stated above.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes working with standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Minor travel is expected for this position through 2018. There will be increased travel in 2019 which may include multiple trips of 2-4 weeks as exhibit installation commences.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, and languages are you most familiar with?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a Tech GM?
- What is most exciting to you about managing and building interactive environments?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- What is your ideal job like?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.