Artist Fabricator-Paint and Pigment Specialist
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
As a member of Art Team with Meow Wolf Inc. you are an integral member of and a creative collaborator in artistic productions. Your role includes but is not limited to creating structural and sculptural components for objects, installations, environments and buildings created by Meow Wolf Inc.
A Specialist on the Art Team will have experience working in a collaborative environment and be comfortable working with a variety of art materials and techniques. However, a Specialist will display an exceptional degree of expertise and understanding in a particular medium or creative process. Specialists are tasked alone or in teams to assist on projects as designed. Specialists will be willing and able to guide and mentor other Art Team members in the processes and materials associated with their specialty. Specialists will not necessarily lead projects that they are working on, but may be asked to oversee small crews on various projects, research and prototyping. Specialists on the Art Team are most likely to work on other artist’s projects or lead projects within their skill set.
The specialist’s skill set is defined in order to set an expectation of being used most often, but not exclusively. Other skills will be needed, including new or unfamiliar materials and processes.
The specialist may oversee the particular processes’ work area, materials, tools, and equipment, as well as their usage. The specialist may be responsible for training of other team members.
Project tasks may include gathering and checking out supplies, material preparation, research, artwork assembly, construction and finish elements, As well as prep, maintenance and storage of work area, tools and projects.
Painting and Pigment Specialist will display noted proficiency with and knowledge of:
- Various paint types
- Pigments and Binders
- Surface preparation
- Color mixing and matching
- Function and durability
- Application techniques
- Repair/restoration methods
- Sealants and protective finishes
General Technical Skills & Expertise
Fluency in three or more of the following skills:
- Surfacing techniques
- Light carpentry
- Color mixing/matching
Preferred Education and Experience
- 5 years training and/or equivalent experience in mixing, matching and applying paints and surfacing materials
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Works with team members on various projects
- Works well in groups and individually
- The specialist might be asked to oversee and take responsibility for the particular processes’ work area, materials, tools, inventory and equipment and their usage / training by other team members.
- Research and development of new materials and equipment associated with specialty.
- Support for other team members in particular specialty as it relates to various company projects.
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Interpersonal communication skills and ability to work with diverse personalities.
- A refined sense of attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Exceptional organizational skills and an ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines in fast-paced and team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated willingness to work independently, anticipate issues and use good judgment with basic guidance and instruction
- Extremely reliable, punctual and professional.
- Supports a positive work atmosphere by demonstrating flexibility and enthusiasm for collaboration.
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment such as powered and non-powered tools and various art making materials.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel is expected for this position through 2018. There is potential travel to work on the 1st Major Market in 2019.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.