Director of Development
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment (MWE), a department within Meow Wolf, is the engine that builds narrative universes, which enriches exhibition experiences and multiplies Meow Wolf’s engagement and impact for a global audience.
The role of this Santa Fe, NM-based Director of Development is to support the MWE team in all areas of the development, production and management of original content, both for Meow Wolf-owned platforms and other third-party distribution outlets.
This role is responsible for managing a wide range of projects and will help advance the MWE strategy to develop prime derivatives of Meow Wolf core IP. The role includes work in content strategy, talent outreach, production and coordination with merchandise, audience development, marketing and product teams. The role will involve heavy collaboration with other MWE departments, including but not limited to the MWE Story Department, Doc/Nonfiction Department, Exhibition Narrative Team, as well as external collaborators.
The Director of Development will report directly to the VP, Entertainment.
- At least 5 years of production experience – preferably for a media or entertainment related company. Experience in documentary and narrative video content is not necessary, but preferred.
- At least 5 years in platform agnostic content development and management.
- Bachelor’s degree (TV/Film/Journalism or related field).
- Proficient computer skills, emphasis on current social media platforms.
- The ability to work with a team to take a video project from the kernel of an idea to a finished product (whether scripted or unscripted) – while overseeing all financial, technical and logistical aspects of the production.
- The dexterity and demeanor to work with a variety of personalities and teams of people both inside and outside of the company to accomplish the goals set forth.
- Great oral and written communication skills and a comfort speaking to large groups of people.
- An instinct for a story’s lifecycle across multiple digital platforms.
- Experience in the distribution of short-form or long-form content for digital platforms.
- Experience working with and managing a diverse group of external production companies, agents, managers, producers and network partners.
- Substantial knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with a level of technical understanding, excellent business and finance skills, and extensive knowledge of commissioning and green-lighting productions in development.
- Good understanding of the competitive challenges of the genre and track record in delivering business growth.
- Passion for and understanding of the Meow Wolf brand.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday (40 hours average).
- Cultural Leadership
- Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Management
- Organizational Advocate
- Team Leadership
- Results Driven
- Building Teams
- Creative Leadership
- Problem Solving
- Creative Thinking
- Job Knowledge
- Resource Management
Some travel may be required.
- Collaboration with internal Meow Wolf and MWE departments, as well as external production companies to identify and develop existing pieces of MW IP for a variety of formats and platforms, including but not limited to in-exhibition, premium episodic, feature film, animation, podcast, VR/AR/MR content.
- Production management of short-form and long-form content for both owned and third-party platforms; including working with internal and external producers on the planning of projects and ensuring timetables and budgets are adhered to.
- Support of individual productions through creative notes as well as the overseeing of dissemination of rough cuts for review, managing third-party relationships, final asset delivery, etc.
- Collaboration with other Meow Wolf lines of business in content creation to support larger Meow Wolf initiatives. Leading brainstorms, creating content packages and strategies and tracking the production, approval and release schedules of content, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agents, managers, producers, network partners and any other external partnerships.
- Review pitches from outside producers and production companies and make informed recommendations.
- Developing new projects and concepts that will be shopped around to potential outside production partners.
- Seeking out and hiring Development writer(s), director(s), producer(s) to work on future projects and develop world-class quality projects for MWE’s future productions.
- Work closely with writers to guide development of story ideas, treatments and scripts.
- Identify TV formats, books and other potential source material – Oversee and sometimes write coverage for scripts and source material.
- Seeking new business opportunities in development, new project, new business idea, and new business opportunities.
- Oversee generation of original episodic and feature film ideas (including documentary, podcast, in-exhibition, and VR/AR/MR content).
- Oversee development of outside material/existing IP in a manner that fits with Meow Wolf story universe and/or approach.
- Coordination with Legal, Business Affairs, Brand, etc…to ensure that Meow Wolf is protected and all risks have been addressed and discussed
- Communicating with finance partners and distribution partners on a regular basis to reach mutually agreed goal.
- Communicate with Leadership on a regular basis to report production development status and all issues in business and development.
- Participate in pitch sessions, notes calls and meetings.
- When appropriate, attend domestic and international TV conferences and festivals to further relationships with potential partners when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.