Director of Development
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment (MWE), a department within Meow Wolf, is seeking a full-time Director of Development to join our team in Santa Fe, New Mexico to work on a variety of exciting endeavors.
The Director of Development will help to build and oversee a robust development department that remains in constant support of Meow Wolf Entertainment’s creative team while helping to elevate the quality of content Meow Wolf Entertainment develops both internally and through external partnerships.
This position will support and work closely with the MWE Story Department, Doc/Nonfiction Department, Exhibition Narrative Team and external collaborators and will help advance our strategy to develop prime derivatives of Meow Wolf core IP.
- Demonstrated experience developing creative ideas into viable pitches/presentations/produced work
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience in content development
- A detailed understanding of industry standard development pipelines and processes
- Detailed understanding of story structure and cinematic language
- Passion for and understanding of the Meow Wolf brand
- Passion for seeking out diverse voices and perspectives and helping to build pathways for emerging and underserved creators
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to recognize a strong idea and take necessary steps to develop broader concept and bring to green light phase
- Work closely with MWE Leadership, MWE Sr. Creative Director, MWE Head of Story, and Director of Exhibition Narrative to identify and develop existing pieces of MW IP for a variety of content vehicles including in-exhibition, premium episodic, feature film, animation, podcast, VR/AR/MR content etc.
- Oversee generation of original episodic and feature film ideas (including documentary, podcast, in-exhibition, and VR/AR/MR content)
- Maintain MWE development slate and pipeline
- Manage a team of PMs and Coordinators to support the development of a robust slate of projects throughout the development cycle
- When appropriate manage the development of specific projects
- Manage and communicate the flow of information to stakeholders and greater MW team
- Work with MWE Leadership to identify and form potential development partnerships
- Develop and maintain relationships with agents, managers, producers, network partners and any other relevant external partnerships
- Review pitches from outside producers and production companies and make informed recommendations
- Oversee development of outside material/existing IP in a manner that fits with Meow Wolf story universe and/or approach
- Help develop ideas into viable pitch decks/presentations that will be shopped around to potential outside production partners
- Provide notes and help guide editorial on presentations/pitch decks
- Manage creative personnel and talent where necessary – making sure they meet requirements of projects
- Identify and recommend writers, directors and producers for television and feature development projects
- Work closely with writers to guide development of story ideas, treatments and scripts
- Identify TV formats, books and other potential source material – Oversee and sometimes write coverage for scripts and source material
- Attend pitch sessions and general meetings
- Participate in notes calls and meetings
- When appropriate, attend domestic and international TV conferences and festivals to further relationships with potential partners when necessary
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.