Senior/Lead Developer (VR/MR)
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is seeking a Senior VR/MR Developer/Lead to work closely with artists, designers, programmers, and audio specialists with the overall goal of creating interesting, fun, compelling, and insightful experiences.
Qualified candidates need to be motivated and able to operate autonomously in a dynamic production environment. You are excited about exploring this new medium and helping Meow Wolf bring immersive content to their exhibits and events. This individual is passionate about the role of Mixed Reality in the future of spatial computing and entertainment. They are ready to work on groundbreaking immersive technologies, comfortable navigating ambiguity and pioneering our development workflow.
We are in the beginning stages of developing our department and this is an exciting opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a unique organization. Ideally, the candidate will be passionate to help establish, maintain, and grow a dynamic and innovative media studio.
- 7+ years of experience in development for games, VFX, or interactive experiences with 2 years in a lead role
- Experience with SLAM tracking techniques
- Proficiency with Unity is required, Unreal Engine experience is extremely desired
- Capable of translating creative vision into technical initiatives
- Strong understanding of a 3D production pipeline
- Strong understanding of real-time rendering and shading
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Experience leading other developers and working on complex algorithms
- Portfolio of previous work + code samples
- A sense of humor
- Experience with Unreal Engine or willingness to learn quickly
- Experience developing for Oculus, Vive, Hololens, and other immersive media devices preferred
- Collaborate with department head and Creative Director and work within a team to deliver high-quality VR & MR content
- Assess requirements and provide estimates, guiding an evolving development plan for multiple projects
- Run daily standups for a small team of developers
- 3D & VR/MR application development in Unity and/or Unreal
- Work with 3D artists and developers to design workflows, import models and create scenes, automating pipelines when possible
- Act as a technical representative in cross-functional meetings with tech team, IT, etc.
- Design tools that enable artist to rapidly iterate prototypes
- Effectively manage dependencies across various frameworks and production projects
- Experiment with emerging technologies and create a support structure for new systems
- Mentor a team of highly creative and gifted professionals toward best practice implementations
- Travel and off-set hours for production as needed
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.