About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The Legal Counsel at Meow Wolf, Inc, will provide legal advice and services to support all company operations and new ventures. Specifically, this professional will help the company to grow its operations and expand all entertainment platforms from development to production to exploitation and distribution. This includes but is not limited to advice and counsel related to negotiating and structuring both financing and intellectual property agreements. In addition, this individual will troubleshoot human resource issues, labor relations, and local government affairs as necessary.
We are looking for a professional with multidisciplinary experience who has a deep understanding of the entertainment industry with the ability to navigate complex legal and business issues while advancing the unique culture and goals of Meow Wolf, Inc.
At its core, Meow Wolf, Inc. is a company that is committed to having a positive impact on our society at large, our employees and local community. These issues will need to be top of mind in all endeavors taken on behalf of the company by our legal counsel.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The right candidate is committed to help Meow Wolf leaders achieve our goals and will accomplish that objective by providing a broad array of legal counsel. Specifically, our general counsel will:
- Offer legal and strategic advice as requested in all areas of the company
- Manage company risk
- Oversee and manage all contracted external counsel
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of decisions and courses of action by senior management as requested
- Serve as a resource for messaging and transparency in times of crisis management at all levels of the company
Meow Wolf, Inc. is growing rapidly. This position requires an extremely capable and fast-paced individual who can not only maintain the current culture and processes but help us to manage our operations and swift growth. The right candidate loves providing legal advice and counsel related to organizational growth, intellectual property, and enjoys a challenge.
- In house counsel experience at a start-up or public/private industry company or significant professional experience practicing Entertainment law
- Overall broad legal knowledge of corporations, intellectual property, labor law, and administrative law
- Ability to develop a legal strategy and objectives
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Ability to anticipate legal issues and risks
- Preferably licensed in NM, CO, CA, NV, IL, TX, DE and/or NY.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Manage the company’s Intellectual Property portfolio, which includes but is not limited to:
- Copyright, Trademark, Patent
- Artist reproductions
- Licensing agreements
- The procurement of legal clearances for our various projects
- Merchandise-related negotiation and contract development
- All legal services related to our many entertainment platforms which represent artist management
- Finished art and installations
- TV and video
- Permanent and traveling exhibitions
- Digital networks
- Costuming and performance
- New media gaming
- Virtual and augmented reality
- Audio engineering
Serve as the lead legal advisor to our local LLC operations. Issues that may arise are related to labor and administrative law, local government issues and operational troubleshooting, which includes but is not limited to facilities, security, events, and liquor license-related business functions.
Advise on real property construction, leaseholds, and purchase agreements.
Manage Human Capital-related contractual and employee management issues for the entire company that include but are not limited to Employee Agreements, Independent Contractor Agreements, the negotiation of Statements of Work, the resolution of any labor-related issues, advice on employee handbooks and company-wide security operations.
Attend board meetings and serve as Board Counsel
Due Diligence Requests
Take responsibility for archiving and responding to any due diligence requests for all relevant materials and documents and manage the enforcement of NDAs should the need arise.
Able to be the hub between creators, managers, vendors, and leaders to integrate all safety consideration
Help us stay true to our roots and core as we grow and expand in our creative endeavors
- Be a willing participant in our collaborative culture supporting both creative and management stakeholders
- Demonstrated, solid proficiency in time management skills, alongside confidence in organizing vast amounts of data
- Resilient, focused problem solver and self-starter, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a complex, occasionally ambiguous environment
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.