Tech Project Manager
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is looking for a Tech Project Manager who has extensive experience and a proven track record managing teams who are developing complex, immersive installations that seamlessly weave together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements. The Tech Project Manager will work primarily with the Tech Team, Tech GM, and Tech Director and will interface with other teams including Project Management (company wide), Art, Design, Fabrication, IT, Narrative, Sound, & Content.
- 3 years+ of project managing immersive experiences with a strong understanding of implemented technology
- Great communication, budgeting and time management skills
- Steadfast attention to detail
- Ability to understand the significance and impact of changes at a micro to the macro level and adapt strategy and/or deliverable
- Calm when deadlines are tight and the pressure is on
- Ability to buffer the tech team from scope creep
- Comfortable using Gantt charts, spreadsheets, asset management databases
- Proficient in Google Apps and at least one project management software
- Experience working with teams and members from a range of different departments including: Tech, Art, Fabrication, ++
- Strong technical acumen; technical degree preferred
- Experience with the logistics of packaging and shipping shows
- Managing projects in production, fabrication, museums or media
- Experience with Wrike, Jira, or similar PM tools
- A sense of humor
- Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies and platforms in relation to immersive experiences are you most familiar with?
- What project management tools are you most familiar with?
- What are your strategies for resolving challenges?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a project manager?
- What is most exciting to you about project managing interactive environments?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- What is your ideal job like?
- Anything else you want us to know?
- Main point of contact for project status & progress for the tech team on assigned projects
- Generate scope of work and forecast budgets for large and small scale projects
- Negotiate, create and maintain schedules and timelines, ensuring milestones are met
- Establish and maintain transparent communication in cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Identify dependencies between teams and members to ensure milestones are met with the objective of avoiding delays, where possible
- Interface with other teams, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Steering interactive concepts towards feasible deliverables
- Assist designers/developers and technical fabricators in removing roadblocks during production
- Help refine and evolve existing processes and strategies
- Help manage time and productivity of the tech team
- Generate reports and status updates for management
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.