Tech Project Coordinator
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is in search of a unique person who is comfortable working with artists and technologists. This person is passionate about contributing to a team whose focus is creative technology and understands the maker DIY mindset driven by ideation. The tech team has multiple projects simultaneously and interacts with other disciplines companywide such as: art, digital, fabrication, sound, entertainment, etc.
Meow Wolf’s Tech Project Coordinator will be the first point of contact for the technology team’s project load. The Tech Project Coordinator will track various resources within projects, manage calendars, manage project travel, create proposals and reports, generate and track project budgets, mediate meetings, coordinate vendors, etc. This person will be a fast learner and adaptable to the pace of a growing start-up.
- Has empathy for both the creative and technical mindset and navigates ambiguity into clarity and order
- Knowledge of software and hardware development life-cycles
- Comfortable using project management tools like Wrike or equivalent
- Advance office productivity skills like scheduling, creating documents, spreadsheets, slides, reports, etc. using tools like Google Apps
- Efficient processing of project status reports, expense reports, purchasing, shipping and other project logistics
- Extremely proficient written and verbal communicator
Nice to have
- Familiarity with A/V, computers, microcontrollers, sensors, networking
- Familiarity with fabrication like 3D printing, laser cutting, soldering, molding, etc.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel is expected for this position through 2018. There is a greater potential for travel in 2019.
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
- Google Calendar, Sheets, Drive, Docs, etc.
- Wrike, Slack, or equivalent
- Knowledge of project management or technical producing
- Knowledge of one or more disciplines: audio, video, hobby electronics, system administration, scripting, fabrication
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years of project coordination in a creative studio
- Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies and platforms in relation to immersive experiences are you most familiar with?
- What project management tools are you most familiar with?
- What are your strategies for resolving challenges?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a project coordinator?
- What is most exciting to you about project managing interactive environments?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- What is your ideal job like?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Track and coordinate Meow Wolf’s technology projects as assigned
- Coordinate software and hardware development cycles with art and fabrication
- Maintain personal knowledge base of one or more immersive technologies like audio, video, multimedia, exhibition and event technologies, gaming, etc.
- Create communication schedules for projects, set-up and mediate project meetings, create reports and take meeting notes
- Assist department heads, project managers and technical leads with scheduling, budgeting, purchasing and shipping of parts for project deliverables
- Help with project travel arrangements for the technology team and track travel expenses
Ideate with team members on process improvement
Coordinate initiatives across many creative and technical disciplines and teams
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.