About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Fabrication Director is the head of the Meow Wolf Exhibitions fabrication department and will manage a talented team of fabricators to execute a wide variety of projects for exhibitions, events, and other Meow Wolf productions. They offer leadership and strategic direction for the entire department by having a keen awareness of all company projects, employee capacity and skill sets, production schedules and budgets. This individual maintains a broad perspective of the department, focused on long term vision, growth and organizational strategies. The Fabrication Team Director oversees the teams foreman and administrative assistant while offering high level support to accomplish shared company goals for successful, safe and world class immersive installations.
Meow Wolf projects demand a creative approach, and a wide knowledge of fabrication techniques, as well as an understanding of engineering principles and regulatory codes. The Fabrication Director will collaborate with other department heads, artists, architects, designers, programmers, art directors and project managers to execute projects. This individual is responsible for managing the fabrication team’s time as well as its tools, equipment and facility. The Fabrication Director will also identify opportunities to build the team’s skill sets and implement training programs.
- 10+ years experience working in fabrication
- 5+ years in education or arts management
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office experience required
- Experience with gantt and project management systems a plus
- Familiarity with CAM
- Bachelor’s degree or better.
- Experience with permanent exhibitions preferred
- Maintain a 26,000 sq.ft. fabrication facility
- Oversee a variety of fabrication processes
- Set timelines with milestones and meet critical deadlines
- Translate shop drawings into artworks
- Help to design new projects
- Design workflows and timelines to meet critical deadlines and analyzing processes to improve Meow Wolf’s fabrication capacity
- Comfortable working with a variety of project management tools
Budgeting and Analysis
- Create and manage an annual Fabrication Department Budget
- Create labor and material cost estimations to be included in project budgets
- Analyze projects midstream and at completion and institute corrective actions/find efficiencies
- Lead and support a team of foremen and fabricators
- Acts as direct supervisor for Fabrication Team, managing salaries, raises and other HR matters with appropriate approvals
- Work with HR Manager to orient new art team members, resolve conflicts, suggest promotions and identify areas of improvement
- Assist in the hiring of new Fabrication Team members as needed and identify team leaders, job changes, or promotion opportunities from within
- Coordinate the use of Fabrication Department resources with other departments
- CNC programing and operation, welding, framing, cabinetry, upholstery, casting and mold making, paints and finishes, plastics
- Rhinoceros 3D (preferred), CAD (preferred) 3-D modeling
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multitask and prioritize items within a fast paced environment.
- Excellent team management capability
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive tasks accurately and confidently
- Google Suite proficient
- Research skills preferred – methods and materials, reference imagery, artists, etc.
- Wood Shop, Metal Shop, CNC and Paint Foremen
- Administrative Assistant
This job operates in a professional industrial and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets as well as industrial tools such as laser cutters, CNC routers, welders, metal shop equipment, spray booth equipment, wood shop equipment and heavy machinery.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job. Travel to Las Vegas and Denver will likely be a monthly requirement over the next two years, and as needed for future exhibitions
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.