About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is seeking an extremely qualified and capable Safety and Quality Control Professional to join our Operations team and ensure that our large scale projects are completed with all safety and welfare concerns integrated into the work. The Safety Steward works closely with the Exhibitions Division in addition to other Creative Studios divisions to identify and creatively solve all issues regarding safety in the various projects Meow Wolf is undertaking. The ideal candidate will have OSHA 30 Certification (OSHA 10 Certification minimum), can read drawings and specifications and has a good working understanding of health, safety and welfare concerns in the built environment – i.e. accessibility, emergency egress, maximum and minimum rises of stairs and ramps, requirements for hand and guardrails, minimum head clearance, accessible widths, fire code etc. Intimate knowledge of Fire Code and experience with fire retardants is a plus. They must be calm under pressure and have experience working on very large scale projects with a diverse team. Most importantly they must be creative in finding solutions to safety concerns in unique spaces.
Meow Wolf, Inc. is growing rapidly. This position requires an extremely capable and fast-paced individual who can not only maintain the current culture and processes but help develop and refine our systems as we scale. The right candidate loves creating new systems and structures and enjoys a challenge. This position will involve traveling to sites to assist in maintaining quality and safety during install as well as working in all stages of design and production.
- Communication – Able to be the hub between creators, managers, vendors, and leaders to integrate all safety consideration
- Empathy – Help us stay true to our roots and core as we grow and expand in our creative endeavors
- Collaboration – be a willing participant in our collaborative culture supporting both creative and management stakeholders
- Demonstrated, solid proficiency in time management skills, alongside confidence in organizing vast amounts of data
- Resilient, focused problem solver and self-starter, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a complex, occasionally ambiguous environment
- Ability to read, understand, and apply information from technical drawings, material specifications, and applicable regulatory documents
- Able to swiftly pick up new software systems and data analysis tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations. Knowledge of architectural Life Safety Codes (IBC) Knowledge of Fire Codes (IFC, NFPA)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years experience working safety in construction, manufacturing, fabrication or production fields
- OSHA 10 Certification minimum; OSHA 30 Certification preferred
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, experience with gantt and project management systems a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or better
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Finished Product Safety and Quality
- Execution and ownership of our fire treatment products and procedures including materials assessment and sourcing, evaluation, application and documentation of all fire treatment activities we do in house as well as working with outside contractors
- Develop and manage protocols for safety related maintenance programs and work closely with facilities staff to implement them
- Regular safety assessments and checks during all phases of design, fabrication and installation on all Meow Wolf projects, events, traveling shows etc.
- Monitor and identify – on an ongoing basis – any potential conflicts between fabrication and the life safety provisions outlined in the design and construction documents
Installation Safety and Quality
- Lead safety professional on site to oversee the installation of our major market exhibitions
- Monitor and identify all onsite safety hazards during installation both in the facility and with personal work methods
- Ensure any public safety issues are quickly addressed and resolved
- Liaise with city and state officials in regard to public safety requirements
- Document any necessary information about safety requirements for the running of the exhibition and train operations team in ongoing safety evaluation needs
Workplace Safety (In Conjunction with Facilities Director)
- Creates safety policies and procedures in compliance with all local, state, and federal rules and regulations, including OSHA
- Creates safety training program for employees and maintains
- Defines and implements PPE requirements for each job function; assigns PPE and maintains inventory of consumables
- Maintains MSDS binder for all substances, in at least two locations, as required by OSHA
- Maintains accident / incident log per OSHA standards
- Performs post-accident investigations and determines refinement of safety practices to avoid reoccurrence
- Hold monthly safety meetings as required by OSHA; document attendance and meeting topic
- Trains and implements 5S and Visual Workplace theories
- Responsible for information and monitoring what chemicals (e.g., associated with spray paints, paint thinner, etc) could be used onsite and how to properly dispose of the waste
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.