Art Direction General Manager
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Art Direction General Manager (ADGM) creates foundational support for the Art Direction team to ensure all members are supported to do their best work possible. This individual is responsible for supporting the management of Art Direction team’s time and resources, equipment and work spaces. The ADGM will identify threads, themes and patterns in work flows throughout the department and across the company, encouraging efficiencies and maintaining open fruitful lines of communication and collaboration
In collaboration with the Creative Directors and Art Directors, the ADGM helps maintain a balance of art collective attitude and business efficiency, structure and chaos. Working with cross-company stakeholders, they maintain awareness of all relevant MW projects. They work with leadership and project managers to establish and maintain an Art Direction workflow to better interface with projects of all sizes. They are the point of contact for all Department Heads and Managers to discuss Art Directors time or other team resources. They work with the art direction team to balance workload within the team, as well as seek support from other teams. The ADGM is a day-to-day resource for the Art Direction Team to help facilitate the most efficient and satisfying work environment for all. This role will help implement staffing strategies and develop collaborative relationships across the company and will assist in defining and expanding Meow Wolf Art Direction to be more effective and to allow more people in to the process.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multitask and prioritize items within a fast paced environment
- Excellent team management capability
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive tasks accurately and confidently
- Google Suite proficient
- Research skills preferred – methods and materials, reference imagery, artists, etc.
- Art Directors
- Creative Leads
- Concept Art Manager
- Artist Liaisons
- Administrative Assistant
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Required Education and Experience
5+ years experience working in creative and design fields
2+ years in education or arts management
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Manage team workload and progress to ensure work is evenly spread across the team, and that timelines are maintained
- Daily resource for problem solving, interdepartmental liaisons, and general project support as needed
- Work with their team: Creative Directors, Art Directors, Creative Leads, Concept Developers, Concept Artists, and a Concept Artist Manager; to solidify and expand systems that empower Art Direction to do it’s best work and integrate that work into the company as a whole
- Run weekly Art Direction meetings and summarize team statuses to officer team
- Attend all relevant meetings as point person for the department
- Follow Project Management systems for all off-project activities including R&D, individual artist projects, travel, classes and trainings
- Art Direction team administration: vacation requests, sick leave, comp days, reviews, onboarding, etc.
- Leads the hiring of new Art Directors, Concept Artists and other members of the AD team as needed, and assist in identifying team leaders, job changes, or promotion opportunities from within the company
- Create and maintain annual art direction departmental budget and spending
- Work with Artist Liaison(s) to assist in artist and community research, program development, and artist database management
- Work with creative leadership to continue to develop and improve Meow Wolf’s distinctive brand of Creative Direction, Art Direction, Concept Development, aesthetic leadership, and creative collectivism
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.