Concept Art Manager
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Concept Art Manager is a pivotal role in supporting the Concept Art Team and the Art Direction Department. At its core, this is a creative managerial position that helps to develop processes for a rapidly growing and highly engaged team of Concept Developers and Concept Artists central to the creation of Meow Wolf’s mind blowing immersive exhibitions. The Concept Art Manager will assist in all team tracking and workspace management, they will provide foundational support for all Concept Art projects and requests; ensuring all members are supported to do their best work. This individual will assist the Art Direction General Manager in managing Concept Artists’ workloads, as well as team tools, equipment, software and processes.
They will have awareness/knowledge of all working projects involving Concept Art team members, run individual check-ins and drive processes forward. In addition, they will manage meetings/scheduling, paperwork, department budget support and digital (drive) management. The Concept Art Manager collaborates with Project Managers, Art Directors and other Department Managers to assist in various tasks, as needed.
This role reports to the Art Direction General Manager and makes sure the Concept Art team has what it needs, both materially and personally, to perform at it’s very best.
- Experience with concept art culture, development and the processes involved with creating descriptive visualizations and ideation for entertainment design, large scale installations, character development, prop design, environmental design, etc.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multitask and prioritize items within a fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive tasks accurately and confidently
- Understanding of project deliverables, including 2-D and 3-D digital models and rendering
- Knowledge of various art materials, equipment and fine art processes
- Skilled in budgeting, time tracking and project management
- Well versed with google suite, excel/sheets, microsoft office, project management softwares
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Required Education and Experience
5+ years experience working in creative and design fields
2+ years in education or arts management
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Assist Art Direction General Manager in the tracking of meeting attendance, vacation requests, sick leave, credit time, reviews, etc
- Work closely with the HR Manager to orient new Concept Art team members efficiently, resolve conflicts, suggest promotions and identify areas of improvement
- Oversee team workload and progress to ensure work is evenly spread across the team, make changes if needed
- Assign work based on skill set and work closely with the design team to ensure deadlines are being met and quality of work is adequate
- Manage the 2-D and 3-D workspaces to ensure a clean, productive and safe work environment
- Resolve any conflicts over space use in the art studio
- Follow Project Management systems for all projects including R&D, individual artist projects, travel, classes and trainings
- Support in the hiring of new Concept Art team members as needed and by identifying team leaders, job changes, or promotion opportunities from within
- Day-to-day resource for questions and advice in regards to training, (Google suite, Wrike, Slack, studio processes) safety, etc.
- Participate in development and execution of creative projects
- Contribute to brainstorming ideas, developing concepts, tactical and strategic planning
- Learn what it means to execute creative work and how to function as a member of a cross-functional team
- Engage in and support Art Direction initiatives as appropriate
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.