Staff Accountant – Production
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment (MWE) is a multimedia production division of Meow Wolf. We are in the beginning stages of developing our department and this is an exciting opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a unique organization. Ideally, the candidate will be passionate to help establish, maintain, and grow a dynamic and innovative media studio. Having the ability to adapt to changes and roll with the landscape as we create it together will be important.
The Staff Accountant – Production position for Meow Wolf Entertainment is responsible for managing finances and financial records for all content production. This position will support Program & Project Managers to maintain a continuous content flow, do project pipeline submittals, and carry out expense reconciliations and budget monitoring. The primary focus area of the position will be compliance for Refundable Film Production Tax credits, and the position will liaise closely with the NM Film Office & NM Taxation and Revenue Department. The position will report to the VP of Finance and work primarily with the Programs team and other Content Division departments as determined.
- Accounting, bookkeeping, or finance background, preferably in production.
- Knowledge of the film industry and New Mexico state tax incentives for film production, including allowable expenses.
- An understanding of emerging media (VR, live streaming) a plus.
- System skills in Microsoft Office, Dynamics Great Plains, Expensify, and JPM Credit Cards.
- Any combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Experience in Project Management and as a 1st Assistant Production Accountant or higher preferred.
- Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy.
- Ability to: prioritize, organize, follow-up, be a clear thinker, remain calm, resolve problems using good judgment, follow directions thoroughly, work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team, work with minimal supervision and flexibility, and maintain confidentiality of company information and pertinent data.
We are seeking someone with enthusiasm to perform in a creative, start-up environment. Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
The position is Full-Time, Salaried, Exempt. Hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, occasional evening and weekend work may be required as necessary. The majority of work will be completed in a professional office and require use of a laptop and standard office equipment.
- Oversee programs including, but not limited to the Refundable Film Production Tax Credit and the Film Crew Advancement Program.
- Manage simultaneous production projects spanning multiple forms of media and built elements.
- Manage day-to-day accounting financial reporting against budgets.
- Calculate finances, cost productions, manage cash flow.
- Arrange and attend Pre-Production meetings.
- Provide NM Film Office with information to understand emerging media.
- Track and code expenses for multiple simultaneous productions.
- Invoice employee time to specific episodes; coordinate with HR on payroll.
- Finalize all financial records relating to productions, and arrange independent audits if required.
- Develop a production accounting system that utilizes current Meow Wolf software.
- Responsible for general Staff Accountant responsibilities supporting MWE (AP/AR, etc.)
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.