About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Concept Artist will work closely with Art Directors and Concept Developers to visually realize compelling and descriptive visualizations and ideation for all forms of art and entertainment design such as immersive spaces, narrative-based entertainment design (character development, prop design, scenic, vehicle, environmental design, etc.) and a variety of other Meow Wolf created content. Concept Artists work across multiple departments to maintain consistent aesthetics and feeling throughout each part of a project. The Concept Artist will be adept at working in many styles, acting as a conduit for visualization and articulation, taking ideas from Art Directors and project Artists and representing those ideas in a format that responds to the most immediate needs of project development.
A Concept Artist will use their rendering and modeling skills to help visualize an Artist or Art Director’s vision as that vision evolves and pivots. It is important that a Concept Artist is proud of their work, but not necessarily attached to a particular direction. Concept Artists provide preliminary option paths for Artists and Art Directors. As those paths narrow and direction comes into focus those works become more refined and pass on to the next stage. Concept Artists will work in both analog and digital media according to the objectives of each project. Candidates must be self-motivated, organized, resourceful, and capable of working collaboratively with directors, artists, designers, and other creatives on projects at multiples scales and varied artistic objectives.
- Experience producing 2D concept art and visualizations in a professional capacity
- Strong digital and 2D and 3D visualization skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe software, SketchUp, Rhino and/or other 3D software, and rendering programs. Hand drawing and ability in VR and/or animation software a plus.
- Visualization skills and digital abilities, evidenced by portfolio.
- Excellent listening ability, oral and written communication skills, strong work ethic, positive attitude.
- Ability to read and understand architectural plans, elevations and designing “in scale” a plus.
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, overall high tech literacy and ability to adopt new tools and software quickly.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years experience working in creative and design fields
- 2+ years experience producing 2D and 3D concept art and visualizations in a professional capacity
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or better.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Develop descriptive 2D and 3D concept art, digital models and renderings for communicating with art, design and other creative teams.
- Represent other artists’ ideas in a variety of styles and methods according to the projects’ directives and/or development needs.
- Understand and use narrative content and artistic direction to produce effective and compelling visualizations.
- Assist in live visualization during meetings and ideations converting verbal ideas into visual.
- Deliver assigned work on time.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.