About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
A Meow Wolf Art Director leads creative collaboration. They establish designs and concepts, consult on materials and methods, consult on or create prototypes and concept art, and sometimes make artwork! They assess and amend projects in process, identifying creative solutions to safeguard the aesthetic excellence and high caliber workmanship expected out of all projects.
An Art Director finds connective threads to help turn group ideas, singular concepts and specific parameters into cohesive frameworks that establish big-picture continuity. They act as creative arbitrator to balance conflicting priorities. An Art Director works with other Art Directors, Art Team members, outside artists and across departments, using creative problem solving to help projects be their best.
- Demonstrated diverse history of working in the arts or other creative fields, 5+ years preferred.
- Experience in working and leading collaboratively.
- Curation, art direction, collaborative arts, and/or creative leadership.
- Knowledge of various art materials, equipment and processes.
- Friendly, patient and sense of humor, comfortable working with large, diverse, team of people on a daily basis.
- Experience with site-specific art installations and safe studio practices.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Procreate or other 2D drawing and imaging applications.
- DIY experience a plus.
- Familiarity with transportation, logistics, storage, safety and durability of interactive art exhibitions.
- Experience managing creative teams and interdisciplinary artistic projects.
- Experience with Google Suite, Excel/Sheets, Microsoft Office, and project management softwares.
- Familiarity with Rhino, Sketch-Up, or other 3D modeling softwares.
Working conditions and location
This role will maintain a routine schedule and flexible work hours on MW property to maintain the security of the facility and a safe work environment for the team.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job. This position might require a temporary relocation to another city for a 6-9 month period, based on assigned projects.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position reports directly to the Chief Creative Officers.
- An Art Director may serve as Concept Developer, Creative Lead, Artist, and Concept Artist and work with others who fill some of all of those roles, depending on the project.
- Lead, oversee, and/or advise in the development and execution of creative projects, in tandem with project managers and directors.
- Lead and or contribute to brainstorming ideas, developing concepts, and strategic planning.
- Serve as a creative mediator, helping art and artists fit within project constraints.
- Serve as aesthetic arbitrator, accountable for the creative excellence of a project.
- Maneuvering relationships with artists to keep all parties feeling good about the aesthetic direction of a project.
- Ability to lead without ego; ability to drive a project while supporting others to do their best work. To balance when to act decisively and when to step back.
- Support artists in selection of aesthetic and material approaches to projects.
- Collaborate with Narrative Director and Team and VP of Merch to identify, track, and develop creative threads that link projects within and across Meow Wolf exhibitions.
- Follow Project Management systems for all activities related to assigned projects.
- Serve as day-to-day resource for questions and advice in regards to assigned projects.
- Contribute to organizing and executing other projects as needed.
- Maintain sufficient familiarity with life safety code, fire code, ADA code, etc to identify possible problems.
- Assist in creative problem solving for any project as need arises.
- Ability to roll with change as it comes along – every day.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.