About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Concept Developer connects concept artists and art directors/artists. They collaborate with art and creative direction, helping to develop ideas through rapid iteration and through dissection of descriptive materials to discover the essence of an idea. They then work to translate those ideas into visualizations that can be useful to stakeholders across multiple teams. The Concept Developer is adept at working in many styles, acting as a conduit for visualization and articulation. They work with various creatives to take a project from a seed of an idea to a fully fleshed out creative plan, sometimes working closely with an artist through many iterations to get it right, sometimes working with relative independence to bring a group idea to a point that it can be handed to another team. A Meow Wolf Concept Developer works closely with Art Directors in the planning phase of a project to make the project the best it can be.
We are looking for a creative and dedicated individual who is passionate about helping to establish, maintain and grow Meow Wolf, and will fit with our collaborative culture.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years experience working in creative and design fields
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, overall high tech literacy and ability to adopt new tools and software quickly.
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or better.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Collaborate during brainstorming sessions to do rapid fire sketches to keep conversation moving and clarify direction of ideas
- Take small amount of direction to create a wide range of initial drafts in a wide range of styles
- Working under Art Directors to establish visual vocabularies that will allow communication across teams
- Expand rapid fire sketches into polished drafts and then concept documents necessary for the design of projects
- Assist in capturing the big picture of a project or space and guide maintenance of that focus to keep design from getting too detailed too early
- Maintain injection of reality, keeping the big picture in mind so that ideas are in line with overall project constraints
- Learn and maintain a strong understanding of how Meow Wolf people and teams work together
- Ensure big picture design elements don’t fall through the cracks as scope of focus narrows
- Hold a knowledge of the various priorities and pieces of a project so they can be best orchestrated
- Ask for art direction where it is unclear
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize items within a fast paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive tasks accurately and confidently
- Google Suite proficient
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite. Proficiency in various design programs and 3D programs, like Zbrush, a plus
- Research skills preferred – methods and materials, reference imagery, artists, etc.
- Several years experience in sculpture, installation or immersive art a plus
- Experience in working collectively and/or in the DIY scene a plus
- Experience in gallery or contemporary arts a plus
- Experience in movie, music video, event, or theatrical design a plus
- Experience helping ambitious people do crazy things a plus
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.