Concept / Storyboard Artist
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf Entertainment (MWE), a division of Meow Wolf, is seeking a full time Concept / Storyboard Artist to join our team in Santa Fe, New Mexico to work on a variety of exciting endeavors.
We are searching for an expert in storyboarding and pre-viz, character development and creation, and concept art for animation and live action.
We are in the beginning stages of developing our animation department in Santa Fe and this is an exciting opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a unique organization. Ideally, the candidate will provide leadership and collaboration to help establish, maintain and grow a dynamic and innovative media studio.
Please provide a cover letter, and examples of relevant current work.
- Four year degree in fine art illustration or animation
- Have excellent drawing and visualization skills and digital abilities, evidenced by portfolio.
- Must have expert proficiency in all phases of concept art, character design, pre-viz and storyboarding with a minimum of 2 years of professional experience
- Thorough working knowledge of industry standard software and related pipeline
- Background in both commercial and artistic forms a plus
- Able to work in a wide variety of aesthetic styles and looks
- Able to work quickly and hit deadlines
- A thorough knowledge of cinematic language and narrative structure
- Have solid storytelling and world building skills
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Must be receptive to art direction and perform well within a team environment
- Experience being part of a team of interdisciplinary people
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive tasks accurately and confidentially
- Create detailed storyboards for a variety of animated and live action productions
- Create concept art in a wide variety of styles
- Develop detailed character sheets and undertake pre-viz for animation
- Work closely with Meow Wolf Entertainment development and production teams to schedule and meet project milestones
- Manage multiple tasks and make solution-driven decisions in a fast-paced work environment
- Adhere to tight schedules with minimal supervision and work well under pressure
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.