Designer / Developer
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Designer/Developer will work with our tech team in developing custom generative and interactive artwork and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, projection mapping, and electromechanical elements. The Designer/Developer will work primarily on designing and programming highly immersive real world environments, stitching together data from complex sensor systems such as the Kinect or sensor arrays, controlling multi-channel audio and video/projection mapping systems as well as developing automation systems for exhibitions, and in-house lighting and sound control systems to support the team.
The Designer/Developer will work within a small team of developers, a subset of the Tech Team, as well as our electrical engineer, and will be embedded in various art projects working alongside artists, fabricators, and technicians.
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements. The tech work environment is in the same building as scenic art production and wood and metal fabrication shops.
The employee is regularly required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9-5pm or 10-6pm.
Low travel is expected for this position for 2018. Greater potential for travel in 2019.
Required Education and Experience
- Strong sense of UX design and ability to develop dynamic interactive behaviors
- Strong understanding of projection mapping
- Strong ability to self-manage
- 3+ years experience designing and developing interactive environments, projection mapping and/or developing custom electronics with microcontrollers
Programming Language Required
TouchDesigner, Python, Arduino
Familiarity with the following a plus
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, and languages are you most familiar with?
- What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a technologist?
- What is most exciting to you about making interactive environments?
What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
What is your ideal job like?
Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
- Quickly prototyping interactive systems and other exhibition software projects
- Designing and Developing content for projection mapped experiences
- Polishing, debugging, and automating interactive systems
- Reporting to the Tech General Manager and Tech Project Manager keeping on track with milestones and deadlines
- Interfacing with other teams, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Adapting interactivity concepts to be gratifying and dynamic for users
- Steering interactive concepts towards feasible strategies
- Documenting systems after completion
- Developing novel new concepts for immersive environments
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.