Lighting / AV Designer
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Lighting / AV Designer will work as part of Meow Wolf’s tech team to creatively integrate lighting and audio/video into permanent exhibitions and other installations. This position will focus on designing and programming highly dynamic and immersive real world environments utilizing data from a wide array of sensor inputs, controlling video/projection mapping systems, in-house lighting and sound control systems in addition to developing automation systems for these components.
The Lighting / AV Designer will work within a small team of lighting and AV designer and developers, a subset of the Tech Team, and will be embedded in various art projects working alongside artists, fabricators, and technicians. Meow Wolf’s highly immersive world-building aesthetic calls for a diverse array lighting from:
- Point lighting (aka pixel modules)
- Strip lighting
- Sign modules
- Spot lighting
- Wash lighting
- Backlit acrylic panels
- Cove lighting
- Understanding of lighting fixtures and control systems for various custom applications
- Strong sense of UX design and ability to develop dynamic interactive behaviors
- Strong understanding of projection mapping
- Strong ability to self-manage
- Strong portfolio (video preferably) that demonstrates designs and programming experience
- 3+ years experience designing and developing interactive environments, projection mapping and/or developing custom electronics with microcontrollers
Programming languages/protocols required
TouchDesigner, Python, Arduino/FastLED, DMX Protocol
Familiarity with the following a plus
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
The employee is regularly required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9-5pm or 10-6pm.
Low travel is expected for this position for 2018. Greater potential for travel in 2019.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work with art directors to help conceptualize and draft lighting plots of spaces
- Work with lighting team to pre-visualize the lighting experience
- Work with tech team to develop interactive lighting experiences
- Quickly prototyping interactive systems and other exhibition software projects
- Polishing, debugging, and automating interactive systems
- Reporting to the Tech General Manager and Tech Project Manager keeping on track with milestones and deadlines
- Interfacing with other teams, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Adapting interactivity concepts to be gratifying and dynamic for users
- Steering interactive concepts towards feasible strategies
- Documenting systems after completion
- Developing novel new concepts for immersive environments
- Designing and Developing content for Projection Mapped experiences
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.