Lighting Designer / Developer
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Lighting Designer/Developer will work as part of Meow Wolf’s tech team to creatively integrate lighting into permanent exhibitions and other installations. Meow Wolf’s highly immersive world-building aesthetic calls for a diverse array lighting from:
- Point lighting (aka pixel modules)
- Strip lighting
- Sign modules
- Spot lighting
- Wash lighting
- Backlit acrylic panels
- Cove lighting
The Lighting Designer/Developer will work in various areas of this design and development process depending on the project, from conceptual design, to specing fixtures and developing vendor relations, to drafting, building out pre-visualization and lighting plots, to physical integration, programming, and installation. The Lighting Designer/Developer should not only have a solid grounding in lighting design aesthetics, but also have experience with lighting integration and control within permanent architectural spaces and art installations.
The Lighting Designer/Developer will work collaboratively with a team of lighting stakeholders, including other lighting designers, developers, physical artists and art direction, electrical infrastructure designers, and a variety of tech team members. The two main differences between this position and the Lighting / AV Designer job are: the emphasis on being a programmer (Python, C/C++ (openFrameworks), Java (Processing), etc.); and working closely with lighting fixtures vs. projection mapping.
- Lighting Design degree or equivalent experience
- Vectorworks Designer and/or Spotlight (or equivalent)
- Vectorworks Vision (or equivalent)
- Programming using one or more of the following software controllers:
- DMX experience
- Installation experience
- Outstanding portfolio that includes examples that compliment our diverse array of lighting needs, listed above.
- Sense of humor
Note: This position does not require experience with hardware controllers.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 2-3 years of real world experience.
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements. The tech work environment is in the same building as scenic art production and wood and metal fabrication shops.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Low travel is expected for this position for 2018. Greater potential for travel in 2019.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What physical computing technologies, platforms, and languages are you most familiar with?
- What lighting related technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a lighting designer/developer?
- What is most exciting to you about making interactive environments?
What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
What is your ideal job like?
Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work with art directors to help conceptualize and draft lighting plots of spaces
• Work with lighting team to pre-visualize the lighting experience
• Work with tech team to develop interactive lighting experiences
• Work closely with tech fabrication team for integration with Arduino, etc.
• Specify lighting fixtures and control systems for various custom applications
• Develop and maintain vendor relations for ordering and contract labor
• Plan and manage physical lighting integration
• Program lighting sequences and animations using software controllers (Arduino/FastLED, Mosiac, Madrix, TouchDesigner, Processing, openFrameworks, Cinder, etc.)
• Rapid prototyping and troubleshooting of lighting systems
• Documenting systems after completion
• Reporting to Tech General Manager and Tech Project Manager keeping on track with milestones and deadlines
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.