Tech Fabrication Lead
About this Position
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf, an award-winning arts & entertainment production company. We create and operate immersive, interactive multimedia experiences to transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of exploratory storytelling.
A small group of artists, writers, musicians and makers founded the collective in 2008 to create an egalitarian space for maximalist artistic expression. In 2016 Meow Wolf opened House Of Eternal Return with Game Of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin as landlord of a 30,000 square foot arts complex in Santa Fe, New Mexico that houses the installation, music venue, learning center, food trucks, bar and gift shop.
The boldly unique new form of narrative rendition immediately earned long lines around the block and headlines around the world.
The culture is radically inclusive. We give colleagues the space and resources to be highly expressive, free, inventive, and effective. This is not a traditional corporate setting but a warm, thriving and vibrant environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Our ethos is fostered by the incredible setting of Santa Fe. The 407 year old city recently scored #5 best place in the world by Conde Nast Traveler Readers Poll and winner of National Geographic’s prestigious “Sense Of Place” category in the World Legacy Awards.
Santa Fe, known as The City Different for over a century, is the nation’s oldest and highest altitude state capital as well as its third largest art market. Our city is famous for extraordinarily friendly people, inclusive attitudes, abundant history and culture, rich wellness traditions, 315 days of sunshine per year, among the cleanest air in North America, jaw dropping natural environments, the west’s most majestic sunsets and a magic to life and collaboration that simply has to be lived to be believed.
Meow Wolf is expanding to major cities around the United States but will operate from a new headquarters in Santa Fe, in an imaginatively refurbished former Caterpillar manufacturing plant.
The job offer is with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios and referred to as Creative Studios, the parent organization for all Meow Wolf subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in the Southwest and is a Delaware registered B Corporation—a rare and socially responsible business designation.
Creative Studios comprises three subsidiaries and has been raising investment—including the fastest regulation crowdfund in history last July—to expand parent company activities to form a world class creative studio.
If you want the creative adventure of a lifetime in one of the world’s most beloved and award-winning cities, we encourage you to apply with us.
The Lead Tech fabricator will head up the tech fabrication team, a small team that works with our tech team in developing custom interactive artwork, objects and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements. The Lead Tech Fabricator will work primarily on the production of custom electronics, and the fabrication and installation of custom lighting, sound and video systems.
The Lead Tech Fabricator will work closely with the tech team managers, project managers, and other members of the tech team including software developers, lighting and interactivity designers, will be embedded in various art projects working alongside artists, fabricators, designers, architects, and technicians assisting in the production of immersive art work.
- Strong communication skills
- Sensitive to team dynamics
- Able to keep team members focused, motivated, and in good standing with other team members
- Strong management skills – timelines, deadlines, budgets, workflow
- Strong understanding of electrical circuits and electrical theory
- Strong understanding of computers and microcontrollers
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate
- Highly detail oriented, meticulous, and organized
- New Mexico resident
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
The employee is regularly required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9-5pm or 10-6pm.
Low travel is expected for this position for 2018. Greater potential for travel in 2019.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, processes, and/or languages are you most familiar with?
- What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a lead tech fabricator?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- Anything else you want us to know?
- Management of the tech fab team, timelines, budgets, and scope of work
- Management of Soldering and assembly of electronics
- Management of Wiring and cable management
- Management of Setup of A/V Equipment
- Management of Reporting to the Tech GM
- Interfacing with Tech Director and CTO
- Interfacing with other teams, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Management of Documentation of systems after completion
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.