About this Position
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Sound Team is looking for a Sound Fabricator to help make our next generation of large-scale interactive sound experiences. They will work with the Sound Team to design and create unconventional acoustic instruments, custom loudspeaker enclosures and arrays, and make sure all of our physical designs are beautiful and durable. The Sound Fabricator will also help installation teams refine their vision for physical sound objects and guide artists to executable, robust, and impactful designs.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel is expected for this position through 2018. Extended travel is expected through 2019.
Sound Technology Lead
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ years professional experience making musical instruments or loudspeakers
- Solid understanding of acoustics
- Working knowledge of digital fabrication tools and 3D modeling software
- Experience with wood and metal working tools
Preferred Education and Experience
- Proficiency playing a musical instrument
- Working knowledge of music theory and tuning systems
- Familiarity with sound creation software
- Familiarity with microphones, pickups, speakers and other sound transducers
- Familiarity with microcontrollers, sensors, and actuators
- Familiarity with sound amplification
- Experience as a sound designer or music composer
- Interest in generative, interactive sound
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Work with Sound Team and project teams to design custom acoustic instruments
- Fabricate acoustic instruments, speaker enclosures, mounting systems, and other custom hardware for sound installations
- Design loudspeaker systems and spatial speaker arrays
- Aid in developing standards and workflows for room tuning and hardware installation
- Create shop drawings and pre-visualizations during the design process
- Create installation instructions and troubleshooting guides for sound hardware
- Document fabrication process for new designs
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Team Focus
- A Sense of Humor and Wonder
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.