Senior Commercial Manager & Lead Estimator (Projects)
The Senior Commercial Manager and Lead Estimator reports to the Projects Control Director. They are responsible for developing and reviewing budget estimates for projects, including estimate refinements prepared internally and/or by outside estimating firms. Manage the financial and cost management system (Aconex) for all projects, putting together bids for contractors and vendors and review scope and payment terms for all contracts relating to the projects. Responsible for providing continuous commercial oversight of ongoing works, both internal & external, and executive reporting thereof. Responsible for developing detailed estimates to support the submittal and approval process for all projects that are managed by Meow Wolf, as well as manage all external estimating vendors. Responsible for the development of a comprehensive database from current and past projects to assist in the improvement of the accuracy of project budgeting on all projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineer in related business fields is required. Master’s degree in Construction Management or Business Administration preferred.
- Must have 6-10 years of construction/theme park estimating experience in retail, hotel, theme parks and themed attractions projects, knowledge of Tenants Improvements (TI), attraction/exhibition (themed environments) estimating and facility impact costing required.
- Must be proficient in excel and other estimating and cost management software.
- Individual must be capable of presenting cost estimates to upper management level positions
- Able to Influences decisions of major nature requiring high degree of tact and diplomacy to obtain favorable results.
- Analytic and data-based decision-making skills
- Executive presence and strong collaboration and relationship-builder, both internally and externally, with outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated high productivity and ability to lead numerous, detailed projects
- Assist PM’s in developing project budgets and standardizing projects budgets sequencing and structure.
- Lead or assists project teams with contractor negotiation.
- Provides weekly and monthly project cost reports for PD, EP and Executive Management.
- Holistically manage and provide insight into risk & contingency allowances throughout each project’s life cycle.
- Manage a real time trending cost incorporating best information (i.e. estimate or actual spend) throughout each project’s life cycle.
- Reviews continually evolving design documents and updates “The Trend” at each stage of each project life cycle to ensure the projects are tracking on budget.
- Coordinates any actions and/or disputes between creative, projects and contractors if “Value Engineering” (VE) or other mitigation exercises become necessary.
- Develop and manage the project budget estimates for TI, Retail, Bar/Café, front & back of house including ticketing and Exhibitions (show design, fabrication & installation).
- Develop budget estimates for projects including estimate refinements that are done internally and reviews estimates that are done by GC, theme contractors and external vendors.
- Develops (Exhibition) estimates as the projects progress through the design, fabrication and installation phases.
- Performs function of lead estimator for internal & external scopes of work. Will vet all estimates done by GC, theming contractors, vendors and contracted estimating resources.
- Researches market conditions for cost trends and local means and methods. Develops location cost factors and escalation factors. Analyze historical costs and disseminate to appropriate year and location. Incorporates current and historic costs into a central database. Develops comparisons for various attractions and non-attraction facilities.
- Develop conceptual Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimates for projects prior to and in Blue Sky Phase to develop initial costs for business unit financial analysis.
- Creates VE components with the project team to mitigate cost overruns.
- Compiles overall project summaries on cost at the conclusion of the project.
- Negotiate and develop estimates for all changes to the work during the construction/installation phase and compile post-mortem cost summaries of the project.
- Establishes internal procedure for the company cost database.
- Develops and maintains said database for various exhibition and non-exhibition facilities (BOH).Perform other duties as assigned.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.