Tech Project Manager (DC)
Meow Wolf is looking for a Tech Project Manager who has extensive experience and a proven track record managing tech teams (e.g., sound, lighting, tech fabrication, engineering, and/or designer/developers) who are developing reactive, nonlinear, generative themed entertainment experiences for permanent installations.
A strong understanding with the phases, pipelines, and technology required to seamlessly weave together the tech with elements designed and developed by the Infrastructure, Fabrication, Art, Architectural/Design, and Narrative departments will be beneficial.
- 2-3 years+ of project managing permanent immersive, themed entertainment experiences with a strong understanding of process, pipeline, and implemented technology
- The ideal candidate has experience with several of the following: lighting, sound, tech fabrication, engineering, interactive through all phases of a design/build of immersive art installations
- Great communication, budgeting and time management skills
- Self motivates and maintains a fundamental understanding of the steps necessary to carry a project forward
- Ability to provide project teams with the tools necessary to execute tasks without constant oversight
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to work well with others
- Experience with TeamGantt, Primavera, or similar PM tools
- Steadfast attention to detail
- Ability to understand the significance and impact of changes at a micro to the macro level and adapt strategy and/or deliverable
- Calm when deadlines are tight and the pressure is on
- Ability to buffer the tech department from scope creep
- Proficient in Google Apps and at least one project management software
- Experience with Airtable and Primavera P6
- Design/build experience for permanent exhibitions
- Experience working with architectural design, art, and fabrication
- Strong technical acumen; technical or project management degree preferred
- Experience with the logistics of packaging and shipping shows
- Managing projects in production, fabrication, museums or media with a tech integration
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional studio and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This role also includes standard equipment use such as powered and non-powered tools and various art making materials. The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. The employee will routinely use respirators in the presence of any dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of medium work. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is expected in 2020 and beyond.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Duties Will Include
- Main point of contact for project status & progress for the tech department on assigned projects
- Generate and maintain scopes of work and budgets for large and small scale projects
- Negotiate, create and maintain schedules and timelines, ensuring milestones are met
- Establish and maintain transparent communication in cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Identify dependencies between teams and members to ensure milestones are met with the objective of avoiding delays, where possible
- Interface with other departments, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Steering interactive concepts towards feasible deliverables
- Assist designers/developers and technical fabricators in removing roadblocks during production
- Help refine and evolve existing processes and strategies
- Help manage time and productivity of the tech team
- Generate reports and status updates for management
- Facilitate the creation of tech project systems documentation and tech project operations/maintenance documentation
- Maintain current knowledge of status on all assigned tech projects esp in regards to upcoming milestones, changes in budget and scope increases.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies and platforms in relation to immersive experiences are you most familiar with?
- What project management tools are you most familiar with?
- What are your strategies for resolving challenges?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a project manager?
- In your opinion, what is the primary function of project management on a team?
- What is most exciting to you about project managing interactive environments?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- What is your ideal job like?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.