Tech Maintenance (Denver Interactive)
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work at Meow Wolf in Santa Fe, NM for training and then to transition full-time to Denver, CO. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.
The Tech Maintenance person, who has specialized in interactive experiences as a Creative Technologist in Physical Computing, will work closely with the Tech Department in Santa Fe during the build process for Denver learning best practices, standard operating procedures, as well as building and creating documentation of custom interactive artwork, objects and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements that will be part of the Denver exhibition. The Tech Maintenance role will ultimately be responsible for maintaining the exhibition onsite in Denver which includes keeping all technical systems secure, functional, and up to date.
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
- Arduino & Raspberry Pi
- Programming languages: Arduino, Python, TouchDesigner, Max/MSP
- A comprehensive understanding of the hardware and software pallette of Meow Wolf’s Interactive Team
- Understanding of vendors and contractors available to hire
- Strong creative problem solving skills
- Extensive experience with collaborative work environments
- Experience with interactive audio systems
- Experience with generative audio systems
- Experience with mechanically actuated musical systems
- Experience with spatial sound systems
- A well-rounded understanding of modern musical styles and practices
- Clear and articulate communication skills
- Clear and articulate documentation skills
Bonus points for familiarity with the following:
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are TBD.
This position will require travel from Santa Fe to Denver, eventually transitioning full-time to Denver.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Primary responsibility will be keeping the physical computing systems operational which includes custom generative and interactive artwork and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, projection mapping, and electromechanical elements. This person will have comprehensive knowledge of all electro-mechanical technical systems in the show.
The Tech Maintenance person is in charge of keeping these systems operational and coordinating with the maintenance staff to fix and maintain these systems at the highest standard of quality. They are also responsible for training staff (MODs, Docent Leads, etc.) to engage with the tech in the show and fix minor daily problems via our custom show control system. When necessary they will manage the assessment, ordering, and safe repair for larger broken tech systems.
- Work with Docent Leads to make sure any immediately solvable problems are dealt with.
- Review the Docent Bug Report and Tech Failure Log for changes in daily operation.
- Replace electronic parts, and low voltage sound components as needed.
- Install new cabling in and out of exhibition as it relates to art installations.
- Keep track of Tech Maintenance inventory, and order parts as needed.
- Clean, and maintain tech closet/nook electronics.
- Work with other Ops teams to keep the Denver exhibition fresh, and functional.
- Add new content to exhibit devices.
- Install, connect, and test any new electronic devices, as appropriate.
- Be available for consultation on any tech issues relating to the Denver exhibition.
- Work with physical maintenance team to solve any AC power problems, or upgrades.
- Contribute creatively and technically to upgrades.
- Document all upgrades and changes.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, processes, and/or languages are you most familiar with in relation to lighting?
- What experience do you have in terms of physical computing and programming for these experiences?
- What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a programmer?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects with samples of documentation you created.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.