Senior Creative Director – DC
Meow Wolf is seeking an experienced and adventurous Creative Director to join our team. The Senior Creative Director will manage the creative development of an upcoming Major Market exhibition, working hand-in-hand with an Executive Producer to balance the project’s ambition and resources. The ideal candidate is skilled at driving teams toward consensus and takes pride in supporting the creative vision of many contributors, without sacrificing the project’s scope, schedule, and budget. While this role is responsible for maintaining an effective creative pipeline, our artists and directors are always pushing the envelope of our exhibitions. We are looking for an individual who can leverage creative process to drive the project and its artists towards the unimaginable and innovative. Working alongside Meow Wolf founders and other creative directors, the Senior Creative Director’s ultimate goal is to make the exhibition unlike anything we have ever seen or made before.
As a critical member of our cross-functional leadership team, the Senior Creative Director will serve as the executive intermediary between the project’s Executive Producer and the project’s large creative team. This person will coordinate and drive a team of Creative Directors and Art Directors, Exhibition Narrative Leads, Content Directors, Artists, and contractors.
This person must be able to elicit and dispense technical guidance from a diversity of specialized teams, including our Project Management, Architectural Design, Technology, Content Production, Narrative, and Art teams. A successful Senior Creative Director is highly imaginative, is effective at synthesizing and distilling creative vision for all the active disciplines in Meow Wolf, and is comfortable setting expectations and deadlines for many types of projects and people. They must be steadfast and strategic as they work within Meow Wolf’s highly ambitious, collaborative model.
Required Education or Experience:
- 6+ years of management experience in creative enterprises
- Experience shepherding high budget multimedia projects from idea to completion
- Experience in Location Based/Themed Entertainment
- Maintains own creative practice and has an impressive/on-brand creative portfolio
- Has served as a Creative Director on a project exceeding a 40M budget
- Experience in Motion Picture Entertainment, Television, Merchandising, in addition to the required experience in Location Based Entertainment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent administrative and managerial skills
- Excellent curatorial capacity
- Excellent understanding of a wide array of fabrication techniques and materiality
- Ability to motivate creative stakeholders around a shared vision; a leader among leaders
- Excellent understanding of Location Based / Themed Entertainment industries and their production pipelines
- Satisfactory illustrative capacity; can articulate ideas visually and on-the-fly, when words fail to describe the concept
- Satisfactory literary capacity; understands common world-building and literary techniques, can provide analytical critique of storylines and characters
- Satisfactory knowledge of design and construction practices
- Satisfactory knowledge of motion picture production pipeline; can utilize the language of the industry and help identify suitable screenwriters and directors depending on the needs of the project
- Satisfactory knowledge of interactive systems design and infrastructure, including lighting and sound control
- Drives and Coordinates the Exhibition’s Global Concept Development phase
- Collaborates with the Executive Producer on master budget estimations and production timelines
- Manages ideation timelines, working with the Executive Producer and Department Leaders to bring teams together
- Steers concept development towards feasibility while encouraging big ideas
- Maintains healthy and fruitful relationships with our creative collaborators, outside artists, theming, and specialty contractors
- Works with Artist Liaisons, Outreach, and Community organizations on the socially responsible curation of artists, locals, and underserved communities.
- Makes fast and definitive decisions while leaving room for input from others, especially other creatives
- Develops Global Exhibition Design concepts alongside Founders team and is entrusted to carry forth and augment this initial vision
- Provides routine creative briefs to the EP, elevating any creative decisions that may impact schedule, budget, or scope
- Sets creative guidelines for the output of Exhibition Content team, Art Team, and other exhibition production teams, to be deployed by Executive Producer
- Supports the responsibilities of the Creative Direction Division at large: IP documentation and database management, Meow Wolf Story Universe development, CSR development and deployment in D.C.
- Contributes to Meow Wolf’s overall Creative Strategy, providing organizational feedback to the EVP of Creative Direction
Maintains direct project reports from:
- Creative Directors (and their project reports)
- Art Directors
- Senior Narrative Director
- Narrative Leads
- Other Creative Leads: Tech Creative Lead(s), Sound Creative Lead(s), DS Creative Lead(s)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners & filing cabinets.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Position will require frequent travel to DC.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.