Sound Team Director
About this Position
Meow Wolf is looking for a Sound Team Director who will be responsible for overseeing the management and execution of sound related projects. The Sound Team interfaces with all of the various teams within the Meow Wolf organization (Art, Fabrication, Tech, Entertainment, and Architectural Design) to create immersive audio experiences across the broad spectrum of Meow Wolf endeavors. This role requires strong managerial and administrative skills, creative problem solving and sensitivity to engage a nuanced creative process and culture.
The Sound Team Director will work closely with the Sound Creative Lead, Sound Tech Lead, and the Sound Team Project Managers to plan, budget, and execute immersive audio environments for Meow Wolf projects. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience managing interactive audio teams. Strong communication and time management skills, creative problem solving, a sense of humor, and a drive to create innovative sound experiences are also musts.
The Sound Team Director must be a strong leader and also sensitive to nuances of a highly collaborative environment. To be successful in this role, being able to trust, respect, inspire, and be compassionate with team members is vital. The role is primarily administration and team management, but is also highly creative in helping to form strategies and approaches to sound design projects.
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create project plans with Sound Team leads and PMs
- Connect artists with sound team members to ensure a high-quality, executable result
- Learn about organization-wide skills and goals, and identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration
- Facilitate communication within Sound Team and with the rest of the organization
- Work with Sound PMs and PM team to create and review project timelines, tasks, and milestones
- Help cultivate a healthy workplace that inspires personal and team growth
- Create hiring strategy with Sound Team leads
- Encourage and facilitate Sound Team member skill development
- Maintain rapport and clear expectations with Sound Team members
- Manage time off requests and tracking
Budgeting and Resource Management
- Manage team budget creation and approval
- Oversee expense logging and tracking budget to actual
- Oversee inventory management
- Oversee purchasing
- Monitor and control labor costs for Sound Team projects
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel is expected for this position through 2018. Extended travel is expected through 2019.
Required Education and Experience
- Professional experience working with sound in a creative or technical capacity
- 2+ years as an Audio Director or similar department management role
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in music business
- Experience with music performance
- Understanding of music theory and sound design techniques
- Familiarity with the tools used in interactive and linear sound creation (DAWs, audio patching environments, etc.)
- Understanding of a broad range of musical genres and music history
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.