Senior Creative Director
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Senior Creative Director will manage the creative development of an upcoming Major Market exhibition, working hand-in-hand with Project Leadership to balance the project’s ambition and resources. This position holds the highest level of creative authority over a project and maintains the Creative Vision throughout the lifecycle of the project. The ideal candidate is skilled at driving teams toward consensus and takes pride in supporting the creative vision of many contributors. Working alongside Meow Wolf founders, the Senior Creative Director’s ultimate goal is to make the exhibition unlike anything we have ever seen or made before. In partnership with the Project Director, The Creative Director ensures the Project overall is adhering to the agreed upon scope, schedule and budget.
As a critical member of our cross-functional leadership team, the Senior Creative Director Partner with the Creative Producer to drive a team of Creative Directors, Art Directors, Narrative Leads, Content Creators, Concept Artists, Graphic Designers, and outside Contractors, to deliver the Creative Vision. A Senior Creative Director is highly imaginative, effective at synthesizing and distilling creative vision for all the active disciplines in Meow Wolf, and is comfortable setting expectations and deadlines for many types of projects and people. They must be steadfast and strategic as they work within Meow Wolf’s highly ambitious, collaborative model.
- Creative artistry, understanding of Location based Themed Entertainment, Immersive Artistic Exhibition, and associated industries.
- Interpersonal skills, written and oral communication, skills, managerial skills and curatorial capacity
- Understanding of a wide array of fabrication techniques and materiality
- Understanding of Immersive Experience industries and production Pipelines
- Knowledge of interactive systems and technologies, and digital and film industry standards
- Illustrative capacity; can articulate ideas visually and on the fly, when words fail to describe a concept.
- Literacy capacity; understands common world-building and literacy techniques, can provide analytical critique of storylines and characters
- Knowledge of design and construction practices
- Knowledge of technical design systems, including but not limited to lighting and sound design
- Ability to motivate Creative Stakeholders-A leader among leaders
- 10+ Years experience in Creative Direction
- Experience in Location based Themed Entertainment and/or Immersive Artistic experiences or directly related industry, stewarding project from ideation to execution.
- Experience in managing 40m + Creative Projects
- Maintains own creative practice
- Has impressive/on-brand creative portfolio
- Experienced in multiple areas of related industries including Motion Pictures, Digital, Gaming, Television, Merchandise, Theater, Multi Media, Museums.
- Project Lead (Partnered with Project Director)
- Entrusted to carry forth, and augment, Design vision set forth by Blue Sky team and Founder Creative Directors.
- Leads and maintains the over all artist creative vision for the project team
- Partners with Executive Creative Producer to Manage scope/schedule/budget for Creative efforts across the Project
- Ensures Creative intent is met across all aspects of the Project Team
- Works with Artist Curation team on the socially responsible curation of artists both in and out of house
- Makes fast and definitive decisions while leaving room for input from other creatives and artists
- In partnership with the Creative Producer, provides routine creative briefs to Executive leadership, elevating any decisions that may impact scope, schedule or budget.
- Partnering with the Production Designer Sets Creative Guidelines for the output of all Fabrication teams including Art, Fabrication and Tech.
- Leads a collaborative team, allowing for multiple disciplines to contribute artistically to ideation and project execution.
- Holds space for internal and external artist collaboration, and be comfortable with maintain ambiguity
- Must be comfortable leading teams and individuals with different personalities and artistic styles
- Insures creative cohesion across the exhibit
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.