Director of Communications & Public Relations
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists. Meow Wolf is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is currently seeking a Director of Communications and Public Relations to oversee our internal and external communications. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication, management, organizational, and writing skills along with media relationships across entertainment, technology, and business press. Candidate must have proven success with international brand building through communications and public. Candidate must also have a proven ability to create strong press strategy, corporate messaging, newsworthy events and pitches, story ideas and follow through with pitch leads and creative digital execution. If you are a strong and seasoned public relations professional, highly connected and energetic, and ready to take your career to the next level in the multiverse, we would love to meet you!
- Eight to ten years experience in marketing, communications and/or public relations.
- BA in journalism, marketing or communications or equivalent experience in public relations, journalism and/or marketing communications. MBA preferred.
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills; excellent written communications skills a strong sense of quality and a creative mind set
- Proven ability to create strong press strategy, corporate messaging, newsworthy events and pitches, story ideas and follow through with pitch leads and creative digital execution
- Proven relationships with media, community and business contacts that have delivered demonstrable results, and the personality to maximize these contacts
- A self-starter that can multi-task, prioritize and work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Proficiency in leveraging public relations tool (Cision), social media networks and related monitoring tools
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan to include company messaging, press, brand awareness expansion, and other marketing communications channels and partnerships to support Meow Wolf’s business objectives
- Begin to grow brand awareness to our target markets (both domestically and internationally) through earned media strategy in the open & planned Meow Wolf locations (Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Washington DC, and beyond).
- Develop and deploy a creative earned media content strategy to effectively launch our Las Vegas and Denver locations, and beyond.
- Manage Meow Wolf’s image and reputation as well as develop a process to manage sensitive issues to maintain company’s good reputation
- Work closely with operational departments on marketing promotions, community sponsorships, and events
- Build out PR team for local management and activations; set team objectives and monitor performance
- Work with our press relations agencies to ensure both proactive and reactive earned media opportunities are as strategic and optimized as possible
- Proactively seek out opportunities for brand building and visibility through national and international awards, conferences and speaking engagements, and other distinctions.
- Represent the company at high profile events, conferences, and other activities
- Manage media training and approve employee representation at events, conferences
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media and influential professionals
- Arrange interviews and press releases to promote our clients’ services
- Ensure brand consistency in all marketing efforts; Manage sensitive issues to maintain company’s good reputation
- Organize PR and community events when needed
- Track and influence media coverage and report on PR campaigns’ results
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.