CAD Design Manager
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
As a CAD Design Manager with Meow Wolf Inc., you are an integral collaborator in artistic productions with Meow Wolf Inc. Your role includes but is not limited to leading a team of designers to create 3D and 2D designs for structures, assemblies, animatronics, large and small scale sculptures, and other installations created by Meow Wolf Inc. In the creation of such projects, you will collaborate with your Fabrication Director, Foremen, and Production Manager to set work expectations and support a team of six CAD Designers in meeting critical milestones and deadlines. You are passionate about developing the skills of others, and you are able to identify work efficiencies as well as necessary tools and software. You will work closely with our Architecture & Design Team and represent the Fabrication group in ongoing design discussions, as well as play an integral part in taking concept models and translating them into real buildable models and finished drawing sets.
- High school diploma/GED required, BA/BS Degree preferred
- 7+ years experience working as a CAD designer, modeler, digital fabricator, or draftsman in the field of fabrication/production and/or entertainment
- 3+ years working in a design management role
- Proven experience working on permanent guest-facing installations in the realm of art or themed entertainment
- Able to create and review buildable 3D models, shop drawings, assembly plans, and installation drawings
- High proficiency in Rhino 3D and Solidworks modeling required, with competence in other programs such as Grasshopper, Inventor, or Fusion 360 as a plus.
- Proficient with drawing software – Adobe Illustrator and AutoCAD required, Striker preferred
- Experience working with CAM software – MasterCAM and RhinoCAM preferred
- Proficient understanding of machining and assembly tolerances, material properties, and fastener selection is required
- Experience working with 3D printing, CNC operations, laser cutting, as well as reading and creating welding prints is required
- Experience running 3D load simulations highly preferred
- Previous hands-on experience working with wood, metal, plastics, and general assembly is required
- Possesses a solid understanding of how exhibit pieces need to be accessed for maintenance and cleaning once installed in a permanent exhibition
This job operates in a professional industrial and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets as may include industrial tools such as laser cutters, CNC routers, welders, metal shop equipment, spray booth equipment, wood shop equipment and heavy machinery.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work related travel for meetings, project coordination, site visit, artist studio visit, partnership development and other trips related to job. Occasional travel to Las Vegas, NV and Denver, CO over the next two years is possible, and as needed for future projects.
- Operate as a CAD Design team leader within the Fabrication Department in a 26,000 sq.ft. production facility
- Manage a team of designers creating digital shop drawings, 3D models, and cut files to be translated into finished works of art by fabricators for Meow Wolf exhibitions
- Represent the Fabrication department in project team meetings, bringing back an understanding of the work needed to be done, and formulating work plans along with the Fabrication Foremen, Fabrication Production Manager, and Fabrication Director.
- Work with a variety of 3D design and drawing programs, matching the right software to the upcoming fabrication processes
- Identify training needs and opportunities for the CAD Design team
- Host regular design review sessions with the CAD Design team, and instruct the team on best practices.
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and architects throughout the design development phase on new exhibition projects.
- Excellent design skills, ability to track multiple projects, lend expertise where needed, and prioritize tasks within a fast paced environment of design and construction
- A high degree of empathy, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor
- Able to identify and diffuse interpersonal conflicts, and help individuals grow
- Works with a high degree of accuracy, precision, and care
- Demonstrates safe work practices at all times in our shop
- Strong communication on task progress and time estimates is a must
- Advanced mathematical skills and mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of fabrication industry safety practices and regulations
- Google Suite proficient
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.