Senior UI Designer (Digital Team)
Can you incorporate the surreal and experimental into usability? Can you make the other-worldly stay grounded? How do you provide navigation through a world that doesn’t have to make sense?
Meow Wolf is seeking a Senior UI Designer to create simple, elegant, and intuitive interactive interfaces for our core digital products: our websites, in-exhibition narrative software, creative displays, and mobile applications.
As Meow Wolf expands into more technologies, you will help to define a brand new digital layer of the Meow Wolf universe. This role will take the art, stories, and experiences of Meow Wolf and help create a new interaction paradigm for our guests/participants.
This role is focused on visual interactive interface design: how users interact with devices, how users process information, and ultimately how Meow Wolf’s digital products “look” and “feel”. Core to this role is the creation of UI in a visually systematic way that ensures a holistic, consistent experience across our products, while still incorporating the experimental, playful, and genre-bending style of Meow Wolf.
Besides exceptional UI and interaction design skills, success in this role is dependent on being highly self-motivated and managed, super organized, always open to feedback/critique, and extremely collaborative.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a visual design field, such as graphic design, interaction design, illustration, industrial design or comparable design discipline.
- 5-7 years of experience in the field of design, with a focus on designing and delivering business or enterprise applications that are complex, high-volume, and high profile.
- Coding experience and experience with React components are also preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with the members of the Digital team and provide visual interpretations of feedback from these communications.
For Special Physical Demands & Working Environment please see Physical Demands and Work Environment Documentation Check Off List.
This position is in an open office setting with the Digital team.
This is a full time position with core hours Monday through Friday between 9am-5pm
- Cultural Leadership
- Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Management
- Organizational Advocate
- Team Leadership
- Creative Leadership
- Job Knowledge
Travel is not generally required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working closely with engineers and product/project management to develop and iterate on interactive software experiences.
- Designing for a variety of screen sizes and platforms: fully responsive web experiences, mobile apps, story-driven in-exhibit interfaces, RFID touch devices, and more.
- Creating images and interactions to delight and excite users
- Rapid prototyping of UI interactivity and incorporating motion/animation into UI.
- Communicating static and interactive UI decisions effectively to developers and stakeholders.
- A strong understanding of the tools and technologies involved in designing and building interactive software experiences including modern Android, iOS, and web development.
- Proficiency with Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, InVision, FramerX and other design and prototyping tools.
- Ability to lead and direct design thinking for a wide range of products.
- Expert knowledge of UI design principles and techniques, including responsive design and mobile UI.
- A strong portfolio featuring visual and interaction design skills for desktop and mobile, including how the designs lead to positive business outcomes.
- A strong understanding of design principles including grid systems, composition, typography, and color.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, high-stress design process under minimal supervision.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to present work to executives and large groups.
- BONUS: working knowledge of HTML, CSS, JS, and/or other coding languages
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.