About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Sound has a direct line to our emotions, and those effects are heightened when we notice the sound is responding to us or our environment. The Sound Technologist works with the Sound Team to provide the creative and technical capacity to do sound and music that exhibits signs of life and moves in response to humans. In addition to utilizing traditional sound design and music composition techniques, the Sound Technologist researches and develops ways to expand the behavior of sound in Meow Wolf experiences. They do this by creating, acquiring, repurposing, and combining all kinds of technology–from computers, sensors, and microcontrollers to microphones, analog electronics, and loudspeaker arrays.
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years professional experience in audio technology
- Proficiency with coding and debugging in C++
- Proficiency working with microcontrollers, sensors, and actuators
- Working knowledge of audio DSP
- Interest in generative music and procedural sound
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience scripting with Lua for audio systems.
- Experience with interactive audio systems (Pure Data, Reaktor, SuperCollider, etc)
- Experience with Interactive Video and Projection Mapping tools (Touch Designer, Resolume, etc)
- Working knowledge of acoustics
- Familiarity with microphones and mic-ing techniques
- Familiarity with speaker arrays and spatialization techniques
- Working knowledge of Networked Audio Distribution Systems (QSys, Dante, AVB)
- Experience as a sound designer or music composer
- Experience with sound sculpture, instrument/interface design, or musical robotics
- Proficiency playing a musical instrument
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Install, test, and debug sound software and hardware in exhibitions
- Develop creative sound tools for use by sound designers, composers, and other artists
- Develop hardware and software systems for sound generation and processing
- Create interactive sound experiences alongside sound designers, composers, technologists, and artists
- Research and apply sound spatialization techniques
- Research and apply techniques for generative, interactive music
- Research and apply techniques for procedural sound in the digital, analog, and acoustic realms
- Help advocate for new sound experiences through cross-team brainstorming sessions, workshops, and demonstrations
- Document and tutorialize work with flowcharts, wiring diagrams, and instructional documentation
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Team Focus
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional studio and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This role also includes standard equipment use such as powered and non-powered tools and various art making materials. The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. The employee will routinely use respirators in the presence of any dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of medium work. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is expected for this position through 2019.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.