Tech Project Manager
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM. Creative Studios currently has three subsidiaries and is raising investment to expand parent company activities to become a full creative studio.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is looking for a Tech Project Manager who has extensive experience and a proven track record managing tech teams (e.g., sound, lighting, tech fabrication, engineering, and/or designer/developers) who are developing complex, immersive, themed entertainment installations. A strong understanding of interactive sound design for immersive experiences and how sound interfaces with the pipelines and technology (sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights,video, and electromechanical elements) required to seamlessly weave together the tech with elements designed and developed by the Infrastructure, Fabrication, Art, Architectural/Design, and Narrative departments will be beneficial.
- 2-3 years+ of project managing permanent immersive, themed entertainment experiences with a strong understanding of process, pipeline, and implemented technology
- The ideal candidate has experience with lighting and sound design and production, interactive lighting and audio systems, or the intricacies of lighting and sound within immersive art installations
- Great communication, budgeting and time management skills
- Self motivates and maintains a fundamental understanding of the steps necessary to carry a project forward
- Ability to provide project teams with the tools necessary to execute tasks without constant oversight
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to work well with others
- Experience with TeamGantt, Wrike, Jira, or similar PM tools
- Steadfast attention to detail
- Ability to understand the significance and impact of changes at a micro to the macro level and adapt strategy and/or deliverable
- Calm when deadlines are tight and the pressure is on
- Ability to buffer the tech department from scope creep
- Comfortable using Gantt charts, spreadsheets, asset management databases
- Proficient in Google Apps and at least one project management software
- Experience working with designer/developers, tech fabrication, art, and fabrication
- Strong technical acumen; technical or project management degree preferred
- Experience with the logistics of packaging and shipping shows
- Managing projects in production, fabrication, museums or media with a tech integration
Job Duties Will Include:
- Main point of contact for project status & progress for the tech department on assigned projects
- Generate and maintain scopes of work and budgets for large and small scale projects
- Negotiate, create and maintain schedules and timelines, ensuring milestones are met
- Establish and maintain transparent communication in cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Identify dependencies between teams and members to ensure milestones are met with the objective of avoiding delays, where possible
- Interface with other departments, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
- Steering interactive concepts towards feasible deliverables
- Assist designers/developers and technical fabricators in removing roadblocks during production
- Help refine and evolve existing processes and strategies
- Help manage time and productivity of the tech team
- Generate reports and status updates for management
- Facilitate the creation of tech project systems documentation and tech project operations/maintenance documentation
- Maintain current knowledge of status on all assigned tech projects esp in regards to upcoming milestones, changes in budget and scope increases.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies and platforms in relation to immersive experiences are you most familiar with?
- What project management tools are you most familiar with?
- What are your strategies for resolving challenges?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a project manager?
- In your opinion, what is the primary function of project management on a team?
- What is most exciting to you about project managing interactive environments?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- What is your ideal job like?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.