Lighting Systems Designer
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Lighting Systems Designer position will oversee all lighting systems design for all Meow Wolf projects. This includes design, drafting, and/or review of lighting systems and effects systems for Meow Wolf operational facilities, exhibitions, events, traveling exhibits/shows, and other special projects. Additionally, this position will review installation of lighting systems to make sure they are installed as designed, and be a touch point for tech maintenance and/or operations staff who service and maintain lighting equipment.
This role parallels the Electrical Project Designer role but focuses on lighting systems rather than line voltage, low voltage, and network systems. These two roles will work hand-in-hand when designing/reviewing electrical and lighting systems for Meow Wolf projects. This position is half drafting and half project coordination. In addition to design, this position will be the point person for lighting systems conversations and liaise with the Meow Wolf Design and Tech teams as well as external project architects, engineers, and contractors to ensure the success of lighting systems design and implementation for all Meow Wolf projects.
This position requires excellent design, communication, and organization skills, as well as a high level of focus and follow-through. Initially this position will work closely with the IT & Infrastructure Director to learn Meow Wolf’s organizational design standards, process, and culture. Once established, there will be opportunity to grow with the organization and take on more responsibility as is pertains to audiovisual systems design and construction.
We are in the process of developing our department and streamlining our workflow. The ideal candidate will be an integral part of this growth. As we are in the beginning stages of the department’s expansion, this is an exciting opportunity to get involved and participate in building a strong, effective team that supports the entire company.
- 3-5 years of professional experience drafting lighting plans for construction
- working on commercial scale projects through all phases of construction: schematic design, design development, construction documents, construction, and as built documentation.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe CS software, and Vectorworks. Experience with schematic, one line, and construction drawings
- Detail oriented design skills and digital abilities, evidenced by portfolio.
- Excellent oral, written, and graphic communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and ability to design collaboratively as part of a large creative team.
- Proactive/forward looking
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Self-motivated, self-managing, patient with yourself and others
- Must be receptive to receiving direction and can perform well within a team environment
- Able to make solution-driven decisions in a fast-paced work environment
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Adobe software, and Vectorworks
- Extensive knowledge base required for specification of lighting fixture types, parameters, housing, and effects
- Familiar with NEC and other local code requirements for lighting systems in project municipalities
- Experience with Google: Docs, Sheets, Drive, and Calendar
- Computer savvy and capable of learning new computer programs
Preferred Education and Experience
- Oversee lighting systems and global effects systems, including but not limited to fog, haze, and control, through all project design phases. Account for budget, scope, ease of use, and maintenance when choosing equipment.
- Draft architectural lighting SD, DD, & CD drawings for all Meow Wolf projects including but not limited to CAD drawings, diagrams, system details, one-lines, schematics, and elevations.
- Draw/markup/manage global lighting systems schematics and one line drawings for Meow Wolf projects
- Draw/markup/manage global lighting systems plans for all Meow Wolf projects
- Work closely/as needed with IT & Infrastructure Director, Tech GM(s), Lighting Tech team members, Project Architects, and Project Managers to ensure all lighting systems needs are accounted / designed for, and provide insight and recommendations as appropriate.
- Liaise with contractors, stakeholders, site managers, etc. to make sure lighting systems are delivered as drawn on site plans as well as answer questions and make accommodations for change orders as necessary.
- Coordinate details of global lighting systems design as needed with contractors, vendors, artists, and designers; additionally, oversee on-site hardware and system installation teams to ensure project success
- Provide all exhibition departments with lighting systems technical support/expertise and training as needed to ensure project success.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets etc. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is potential travel to work on the Denver and/or Vegas exhibitions in 2019. Work related travel may be needed for meetings, project coordination, site visits, vendor coordination, partnership development, and other trips related to job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.