About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development. The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
This position is housed within the Design Department of Meow Wolf Creative Studios and reports directly to the Design Director. This creative role is part of a project-based team and works collaboratively with creative directors, artists, project managers, fabricators, external consultants and others to lead large-scale, interactive exhibit designs through all phases of the design and production process.
- Degree in exhibition, theatrical, industrial or product design, or mechanical engineering. Advanced or professional degree is preferred.
- 5-10 years of professional experience in themed entertainment, attraction design, theatrical or exhibition design, including leading projects through all phases of the design process, managing document sets and observing construction and/or fabrication.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe software. Experience with Rhino 3D preferred. SolidWorks is a plus.
- Experience with detailing and technical drawing of structural, material and interactive/ergonomic aspects of themed and exhibition elements.
- Outstanding creative skills in understanding of designing for public use/interaction, as evidenced by portfolio. (IMPORTANT: PLEASE PROVIDE PORTFOLIO LINK OR PDF)
- Excellent oral, written, and graphic communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and ability to design collaboratively as part of a large creative team.
- Lead the design, development and detailing of large-scale interactive exhibition elements and environments.
- Coordinate with the broader exhibitions team and outside consultants (engineers, architects, etc,) to develop durable and maintainable designs for exhibits that minimize hazards and risks to users, comply with structural and material requirements, and follow all life safety, accessibility and building code requirements.
- Conduct ongoing hazard analysis on a wide array of exhibits, prioritizing guest safety and operations concerns, and advising on possible hazard and maintenance mitigation.
- Lead the thematic design to ensure that the creative intent is carried through the exhibition schematic and design development phases.
- Assist in developing and maintaining department drawing and modeling standards and file management procedures, as well as protocols for design and permit documentation.
- Contribute to other design projects at the building, interiors, and/or site development scale.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to residents. Must be able to effectively communicate in English. Maintains excellent relationships with residents, vendors and all community departments.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers. Ability to understand and adhere to the department budget.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to problem solve using sound judgment and communicating with appropriate personnel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands here are representative of those met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or hold objects, reach with hands and arms. Must be able to speak. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This job operates in a professional office environment inside a larger studio environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and scanners. The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols.
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Occasional overnight travel to job and/or production sites within the US is required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.