Temporary Assistant Lighting Systems Designer
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf is looking to hire a Temporary Assistant Lighting Systems Designer to work in Santa Fe, NM for 6 months.
The Temporary Assistant Lighting Systems Designer position will assist the Lighting Systems Designer with all lighting systems design for all Meow Wolf projects. This includes assisting design, drafting, and/or review of lighting systems and effects systems for Meow Wolf operational facilities, exhibitions, events, traveling exhibits/shows, and other special projects. Additionally, this position may review installation of lighting systems to make sure they are installed as designed, and be a touch point for tech maintenance and/or operations staff who service and maintain lighting equipment.
This position requires excellent design, communication, and organization skills, as well as a high level of focus and follow-through. This position will work closely with the Lighting Systems Designer and Infrastructure team to learn Meow Wolf’s organizational design standards, process, and culture. Once established, there may be opportunity to grow with the organization and take on more responsibility as is pertains to assistant lighting systems design.
We are in the process of developing our department and streamlining our workflow. The ideal candidate will be an integral part of this growth. As we are in the beginning stages of the department’s expansion, this is an exciting opportunity to get involved and participate in building a strong, effective team that supports the entire company.
- 2-3 years of professional lighting experience
- Extensive knowledge base regarding fixture types, parameters, housing, and effects
- Strong comprehension reading and drafting lighting plots, schedules, and schematics
- Detail oriented design skills and digital abilities, evidenced by portfolio.
- Excellent Organization, Communication, and Time Management skills
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude
- Proactive/forward looking
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Self-motivated, self-managing, patient with yourself and others
- Receptive to receiving direction and can perform well within a team environment
- Able to deliver in a fast-paced work environment
- Adaptable to changing needs and possess the ability to take on new tasks
- Experience with Google: Docs, Sheets, Drive, and Calendar
- Computer savvy and capable of learning new computer programs
- Welcoming attitude towards diversity and inclusion
Preferred Education and Experience
- Comprehension of architectural drawings, spec sheets, and other related documentation
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Vectorworks, and Adobe software
- Experience with schematic, one line, and construction drawings
- Familiarity with NEC and other local and national code requirements for lighting systems in project municipalities
- Assist design and specification of lighting systems and global effects systems, including but not limited to fog, haze, and control, through all project design phases.
- Assist with drafting architectural lighting SD, DD, & CD drawings for all Meow Wolf projects including but not limited to CAD drawings, diagrams, system details, one-lines, schematics, and elevations.
- Assist with drawing/markups/managing global lighting systems schematics and one line drawings for Meow Wolf projects
- Assist with drawing/markups/managing global lighting systems plans
- Assist with coordination details of global lighting systems design as needed with contractors, vendors, artists, and designers
- Assist with providing lighting systems technical support/expertise as needed
- Data entry of related fixture schedules, specification documentation, fixture counts, fixture modes, and channel counts
- Assist with power and data coordination for fixture locations
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets etc. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel not currently required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.