Casting + Mold-Making Specialist
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an art collective and production company creating and operating immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages to fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibitions throughout the United States working with with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is for a position within Meow Wolf Creative Studios, an interdisciplinary, collaborative nexus focused around the creation of immersive art experiences – combining architectural design, art, custom technology, fabrication, and digital content development.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive; collaborators are given space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
As a member of Art Team with Meow Wolf Inc. you are an integral member of and a creative collaborator in artistic productions. Your role includes but is not limited to creating casted and molded elements for objects, installations, environments and buildings created by Meow Wolf Inc.
A Specialist on the Art Team will have experience working in a collaborative environment and be comfortable working with a variety of art materials and techniques. However, a Specialist will display an exceptional degree of expertise and understanding in a particular medium or creative process. Specialists are tasked alone or in teams to assist on projects as designed. Specialists will be willing and able to guide and mentor other Art Team members in the processes and materials associated with their specialty. The Specialist may be responsible for training of other team members. Specialists will not necessarily lead projects that they are working on, but may be asked to oversee small crews on various projects, research and prototyping. Specialists on the Art Team are most likely to work on other artist’s projects or lead projects within their skill set.
The Specialist’s skill set is defined in order to set an expectation of being used most often, but not exclusively. Other skills will be needed, including new or unfamiliar materials and processes.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 5+ years training and/or equivalent experience in casting and mold-making
- 2+ years experience working in a creative production setting
- Experience in an educational setting a plus
Casting + Mold-Making Specialist will display noted proficiency with and knowledge of:
- Hand layup composites
- Epoxy coats and finishes
- Thin wall casting
- Vacuum forming
- Mold and model optimization
- Casting materials including urethanes, silicones, foams, modified concrete, fiberglass, plaster, gel coating, and epoxies
- Material overlays and texture stamping
- Safe handling and disposal of materials
- Clear communication of hazards
- Some experience with 3D modeling (Rhino preferred) and translating 3D models to physical form
- Works with team members on various projects
- The Specialist will be asked to oversee and take responsibility for the particular processes’ work area, materials, tools, inventory and equipment and their usage and training by other team members.
- Research and development of new materials and equipment associated with specialty.
- Support for other team members in particular specialty as it relates to various company projects and departmental training needs.
- Quote specialty materials for various company projects.
- Collaboration with fabrication and design teams to support Art Team to lead on casting and mold-making processes
- Adaptable to changing needs and possesses the ability to take on new tasks
- Interpersonal communication skills and ability to work with diverse personalities.
- A refined sense of attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Exceptional organizational skills and an ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines in fast-paced and team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated willingness to work independently, anticipate issues and use good judgment with basic guidance and instruction
- Extremely reliable, punctual and professional.
- Supports a positive work atmosphere by demonstrating flexibility and enthusiasm for collaboration.
- Works well in groups and individually
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional studio and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This role also includes standard equipment use such as powered and non-powered tools and various art making materials. The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. The employee will routinely use respirators in the presence of any dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of medium work. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please provide links or images to your works or portfolio
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.