Intermediate Exhibit Designer / Architect
About the Company
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.
Meow Wolf creative Studios is engaged in creating mind-blowing, immersive installations for traveling exhibitions and new properties that we are developing. We are seeking one or more intermediate designers or architects with exceptional design, representation and detailing skills to join our growing design department in Santa Fe, NM.
The intermediate designer or architect will work under the Design Director and Project Designers to design and develop our future exhibits and prepare working drawings for pricing, fabrication and installation. Candidates must be self-motivated, organized, resourceful, and capable of working collaboratively with architects, designers, fabricators, and artists on projects at multiple scales.
- Degree in architecture, interiors, industrial, exhibit or themed entertainment design. Advanced or professional degree preferred.
- Strong digital skills and proficiency in AutoCAD, Rhino, SketchUp and Adobe software. Experience with CNC fabrication and/or Revit is a plus.
- 3-5 years of experience producing design presentations and technical drawing sets in an office setting.
- Design skills and digital abilities, evidenced by portfolio.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, strong work ethic, positive attitude.
- Develop design concept drawings, digital renderings and 3D visualizations for architectural proposals, exhibit designs, and sub-projects.
- Prepare drawings and digital models for planning, presentation, pricing, fabrication and installation of exhibition projects and sub-projects.
- Develop design concepts into finished plans, details and material specifications.
- Assist in developing and maintaining department drawing and modeling standards and file management procedures.
Intermediate Designers are at times expected to delegate tasks to Junior Designers and review the quality of their work.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printers, etc. This role may also include the use of computer peripherals used in the design of immersive experiences, such as VR headsets.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is potential travel to future major market locations with this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.