About the Company
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.
The Tech Maintenance person will work closely with the Tech Department in Santa Fe during the build process for Las Vegas learning best practices, standard operating procedures, as well as building and creating documentation of custom interactive artwork, objects and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements that will be part of the Las Vegas exhibition. The Tech Maintenance role will ultimately be responsible for maintaining the exhibition onsite in Vegas which includes keeping all technical systems secure, functional, and up to date.
Required Technical Skills & Expertise
This position requires an advanced computing skill-set, knowledge of basic low voltage theory and electronics safety.
- Strong understanding of electrical circuits and electrical theory
- Strong understanding of computers microcontrollers
- Strong programming skills with Arduino, Teensy and Raspberry Pi
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate
- Strong ability to self-manage
- Strong documentation capabilities
- Highly detail oriented, meticulous, and organized
- Fabrication Skills and comfortable with hand tools
- Applicant should be very comfortable in
- Linux command line
BONUS POINTS for familiarity with the following:
- Quality Focus
- Radical Inclusiveness
- Knowledge and Skills
- Team Focus
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is potential travel to work on the 1st Major Market in 2019.
Primary responsibility will be keeping the show tech systems operational. They will have comprehensive knowledge of all technical systems in the show. This includes wiring, power supplies, microcontrollers, lighting, audio, video, and how they work together to create the intended show experience. They are charged with keeping these systems operational and coordinating with the maintenance staff to fix and maintain these systems at the highest standard of quality. They are also responsible for training staff (MODs, Docent Leads, etc.) to engage with the tech in the show and fix minor daily problems via the our custom show control system. When necessary they will manage the assessment, ordering, and safe repair for larger broken tech systems and will coordinate with the Meow Wolf Creative Studios tech department as needed in the process.
- Work with Docent Leads to make sure any immediately solvable problems are dealt with.
- Review the Docent Bug Report and Tech Failure Log for changes in daily operation.
- Replace electronic parts, and low voltage lighting as needed.
- Install new cabling in and out of exhibition as it relates to art installations.
- Keep track of Tech Maintenance inventory, and order parts as needed.
- Clean, and maintain tech closet/nook electronics.
- Work with other Ops teams to keep the exhibition fresh, and functional.
- Add new content to exhibit devices.
- Install, connect, and test any new electronic devices, as appropriate.
- Be available for consultation on any tech issues relating to the Vegas exhibition.
- Work with physical maintenance team to solve any AC power problems, or upgrades.
- Document all upgrades and changes.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, processes, and/or languages are you most familiar with?
- What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a technologist?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
- Anything else you want us to know?
- What is your experience with exhibit installations and cable management experience?
- What is your experience with soldering and what type of soldering are you most proficient?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects with samples of documentation you created.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.