Human Resources Director
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive, multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., d.b.a. Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.
The Human Resources Director for Meow Wolf Inc. is an innovator in their field. They draw on a creative passion for and deep experience in HR, while looking for opportunities to think outside the box. S/he approaches HR in a way that complements all the ways in which Meow Wolf is different from other companies.
The ideal candidate is invested in a holistic approach to HR, one that is focused on cultivating and scaling our unique company culture. The HR Director is a key purveyor of Meow Wolf’s culture, and s/he must be open minded and capable of thinking outside the box in finding solutions that are nuanced, deeply human and compassionate, while shielding the company from risk.
The HR Director originates and leads practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, creative culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity, dreaming big, and the ongoing development of a kick ass workforce. S/he promotes and implements human resources and company values by designing programs, directing training and offering counseling/coaching. S/he is someone that thrives in a fast paced, ever changing and demanding environment, managing a team of multi-state HR and Recruiting employees with more than one business entity, integrating and supporting the culture of each entity as a whole. This role manages and supports the HR Assistant, the Program Manager, the Internship Manager, and the Recruiting Manager, and the dedicated HR Managers at each of the company’s subsidiaries.
The HR Director will also take the lead on developing organizational strategies by identifying and researching HR issues and trends within the company, as well as staying current on trends outside of the company. This role reports into the CEO/COO and Operations Manager and the role is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with frequent travel.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive HR experience, with a minimum of 5 years in a manager or leadership role, start up experience preferred.
- Current or previous experience in an HR/Operations manager role, in a large (300+ employee) company.
- Experience in manufacturing, design, film production or tech company a plus.
- Strong organizational, technical and research skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail.
- In-depth knowledge of Federal and state employment law, labor market, hourly, and wage regulations.
- Previously supported company leadership with training and development practices.
- Must be resilient, adaptable, persuasive, positive, ethical, and possess a can-do attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information and exercise discretion.
- Experience creating an approachable, easily accessible, and “people focused” HR environment.
- Ability and desire to travel to all regions – approximately 20% to 30% of the time.
- Demonstrates grace under pressure, can be the calm in the center of the storm, find joy in the challenges of the job.
- Willingness to work outside normal business hours and holidays, as needed.
- Has a sense of humor. 🙂
- Serves as the primary point for employee relations issues, ensures a balanced role as both employee advocate and management counsel.
- Builds on existing cultural norms and traditions and works across diverse teams at Meow Wolf.
- Accountable for managing Payroll processes for the parent company and it’s subsidiaries.
- Protects the interests of the business in accordance with Meow Wolf’s policies and appropriate governmental laws and regulations.
- Proven ability to drive systems implementation and excellent project management skills.
- Creative and inventive problem solver.
- Responsible for employee safety, welfare, wellness and health.
- Responsible for coordinating with Facilities Directors to ensure facility security and upkeep in addition to space planning.
- Partners with management to identify high performers to understand and evaluate retention techniques and career development opportunities; partner as well on lower performing employees to develop performance improvement or exit strategies.
- Has an affinity for finance and a desire to collaborate with the Finance Department where appropriate.
- Manages and develops the annual budget for the HR Department.
- Provides compensation consultation and maintains the current compensation strategy in coordination with CFO and Hiring Managers.
- Develops, directs and monitors benefit packages such as compensation, health insurance, vacation time, PTO, and FMLA.
- Trains, communicates and develops HR guidelines, with the objective of promoting Meow Wolf core values.
- Leads company’s compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Fair Labor Standards Act ( FLSA).
- Minimizes company’s exposure to lawsuits or other liability issues with regards to employees.
- Complies with local, state, and federal legal requirements by studying new legislation and advising management on necessary actions.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of automated and manual personnel records, files, and reports.
- Maintains company organization charts, employee directory and existing intranet.
- Organizational Development.
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.