Tech Team Operations Technician
About this Position
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM. Creative Studios currently has three subsidiaries and is raising investment to expand parent company activities to become a full creative studio.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.
The Tech Team at Meow Wolf Creative Studios is responsible for the design and production of the technology that drives our immersive art experiences. Our technology stack is highly diverse, encompassing everything from audiovisual gear to custom software and electronics. Behind it all is a growing armada of commercial grade network and computing infrastructure and the need for key personnel to help us design it.
The Tech Team Operations Technician works closely with our designer/developers to evaluate hardware and software platforms and is responsible for putting them into production. They serve as a consultant to our creative team, ensuring the soundness of our designs from an infrastructure and deployment point-of-view. They draft strategies for future deployments, and once computing resources have been installed, maintain them for the life of the project.
The ideal candidate has professional experience developing operating system images, deploying software, and maintaining computers within a creative context. They are comfortable working across platforms and fluent with the command line. They are fast to learn new technologies and enjoy expanding their toolset. They have some practical programming skill and can quickly automate system administrative tasks, preferably in Python. They have a solid understanding of computer networking and possess the ability to troubleshoot complex, interrelated systems on the fly. Our team reflects the rest of Creative Studios in that our organizational structure is highly dynamic and our projects interdisciplinary, so personal initiative and a demonstrated ability to manage one’s own time against cascading deadlines is essential. Accordingly, we place a high value on communication skills and overall “customer service.”
- Linux administration: conversant with basic POSIX utilities, distribution-specific package managers, and familiar with common daemons like ssh and samba. Experience with embedded platforms and distributions a plus.
- Windows administration: some professional experience with Microsoft administrative utilities, including Windows SIM and WinPE. Basic familiarity with group policy. Active directory experience a plus.
- Mac Administration: familiar with AppleCare support process and understanding of MacOS in a development context. Experience with either brew or macports a plus.
- Networking: solid understanding of IPv4 LANs. Comfortable troubleshooting DHCP, DNS and Wireless issues. Understanding of NAT and firewalls a plus.
- Programming: basic scripting experience in python desired. Fluency with git and github a plus.
- 2 or more years of experience administering computer systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject.
- 2 or more years experience in DevOps.
IT Management (50%)
- Creation and maintenance of production images
- Physical deployment and installation of computers
- Maintenance of installed computers and software
- Management of SAN and cloud storage services
- Management of source code repositories
- Communicating with IT vendors to troubleshoot and address issues
- Coordinating with local IT administration
Creative Consulting (25%)
- Design and implementation of production networks
- Integration testing of new projects and technologies
- Guidance for show automation and control technology
- Intercompany contact for other teams hooking into our infrastructure
Research and Development (25%)
- Survey and test new hardware and software platforms
- Attend conferences and trade shows to maintain awareness of state-of-the-art
- Assist in development of audiovisual network
- Assist in development of build and deployment system
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What technologies, platforms, processes, and/or languages are you most familiar with?
- What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
- What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a Tech Ops Technician?
- What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Tech Team?
- Anything else you want us to know?
Full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Free gym membership (Santa Fe only)
- 2 classes per semester at Santa Fe Community College
- As a rapidly growing company, our benefits will be expanding and a more comprehensive package is soon to follow.
This is an opportunity to become a part of a dynamic and collaborative culture, a beacon of creativity and community in the global economy. Meow Wolf employees are given the space to be expressive, creative and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone and no ambition too high.